Looking for some exhaust recommendations

Looking for some exhaust recommendations

Tim

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 258 i6 with the 4 speed manual
I have an '83 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l in it and I would like to do headers and exhaust on it. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what the best set up would be (I'm not overly familiar with exhaust systems). I would love to gain as much power from it as possible and I would like it to sound good and be fairly loud, it is a daily driver but we don't have to worry about emissions here. Thanks for the help.

Exhaust systems are all relative for the most part. Dont go larger then 2.5" piping for the motor size. Depending on the rest of the motor setup you might be better with 2.25" to retain more low end torque when using headers. I have a stock manifold with 2 cherry bombs matted to 2.5" piping and a dual exit monza tip and its pretty loud and aggressive. I might swap the piping out for a custom 2.25" system.

If you REALLY want a good sound, get the hedman thru the fenderwell hedders and make sure that you bolt them up tp a AMC 304 !:)

Will you be keeping the stock head and cam??:cool:

I ran a tube header, to a 2.5" exhaust through a cherrybomb that dumped down toward the ground under the driver. Not loud sounded aggresive and not bad at speeds up to 80mph.

Last edited:
Get a header with thick flanges so you dont blow the gasket. I wouldn't go larger than a 2.5'' single pipe ditch the CAT and use whatever muffler suits your noise level comfort..I have a 360 V8 in mine with dual 2.5" pipes and quite muffs it cost me $350 to get it done. I also prefer the Flowmaster muff for its simplicity when I have a motor that I want to hear :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom