Lost my brakes and lost power

Lost my brakes and lost power

polish85

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ5 I-6
I finally got my Jeep street legal and i was driving it home from the DMV when 2 problems occured on the same trip.
***1. i hit a bigger bump in the road and my engine cut off?!?!!?
i was thinking that maybe i dont have something grounded or something is loose in my dist cap??? This also happend after hitting any abnormal hole in the road or going over a bump.
***2. i went to hit my brakes and nothing happend! i ended up having to pump them like 10 times before i got any pressure but then still had no real braking power until i completey mashed the brakes all the way into the floorboard. Now let me back up, prior to my brakes going out on me the MC was leaking, so i know i have to replace that, but i was getting this horrible noise at first when i was turing the wheels to the left coming from my front right tire. Then after a while it was doing it wether i was turning or not but finally i heard what was like a pop or smack and then no brakes....any ideas???

lastley i want to know if i should just replace the MC or go ahead and get the bracket, Break booster, and new MC all together? i found a new MC for 40-100 dollars and a whole kit for 320...if i was to get the kit what else do i need to replace with it?

I know this is a lot but what can i say its a jeep thing...:chug:

check for broken motor mounts and maybe the front wheel bearings /brake calipers.:cool:

I finally got my Jeep street legal and i was driving it home from the DMV when 2 problems occured on the same trip.
***1. i hit a bigger bump in the road and my engine cut off?!?!!?
i was thinking that maybe i dont have something grounded or something is loose in my dist cap??? This also happend after hitting any abnormal hole in the road or going over a bump.
***2. i went to hit my brakes and nothing happend! i ended up having to pump them like 10 times before i got any pressure but then still had no real braking power until i completey mashed the brakes all the way into the floorboard. Now let me back up, prior to my brakes going out on me the MC was leaking, so i know i have to replace that, but i was getting this horrible noise at first when i was turing the wheels to the left coming from my front right tire. Then after a while it was doing it wether i was turning or not but finally i heard what was like a pop or smack and then no brakes....any ideas???

lastley i want to know if i should just replace the MC or go ahead and get the bracket, Break booster, and new MC all together? i found a new MC for 40-100 dollars and a whole kit for 320...if i was to get the kit what else do i need to replace with it?

I know this is a lot but what can i say its a jeep thing...:chug:

Might wanna check the brake booster vacuum like too, could have popped of on the bump leaving you with the break issue. Just a thought.

Sounds like #2 could be a blown out right wheel cylinder and maybe bad/loose brake parts.

So this weekend i changed the MC, brake shoes, brake springs, wheel cylinders, and brake hoses. When i was finally done and i bled the front 2 tires i had zero pressure when i pressed on the brake! I will try to bleed all 4 tires today when i get home but should i have some kind of pressure ???

When you change a master cylinder its best to bench bleed the MC and you have to bleed all four wheels (bench bleeding is just running temp hoses from the MC outlets into to the top of the MC so it bleeds out the air in the MC and sucks fluid back into it...it can easily be done on the jeep) once you have bleed everything out you should have a good pedal :chug:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom