Manual Hub Service

Manual Hub Service

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
Hey, I am looking for information on how to service (i.e., "repack") the hubs on my '86 Jeep. Is this something easy enough that even a lunkhead like me can do it??

I have no idea whether the PO ever had the hubs serviced...

Hey, I am looking for information on how to service (i.e., "repack") the hubs on my '86 Jeep. Is this something easy enough that even a lunkhead like me can do it??

I have no idea whether the PO ever had the hubs serviced...

you "repack" wheel bearings and you lightly grease /lubricate hubs. If you get too much grease in a hub it will not engage.
The Haynes service manual has a pretty good section on wheel bearings and servicing them , if you happen to have that book. It does not, however say anything about the hubs. The hubs are mostly just a clean and lube with a reassembly. You will need the Hub nut socket, Allen wrenches, wheel bearing grease, I think you will need snap ring pliers and a torque wrench. you will need a new rear grease seal and there are hub rebuild kits with O rings and gaskets.
bearing grease is up to you, everybody has a preference. right now I am trying some high pressure high temperature red grease that was on sale the last time I cleaned and packed bearings.

If your talking about just the LOCKING hub just clean the inside, (this should be clean unless it has leaked water and mud )
Lub the inside with a lite oil like wd40, grease will make it hang up.

Greasing the hubs sounds like something Tires Plus is trying to sell you for $100. Just clean them up and WD-40 or graphite powder.

Thanks guys! I guess what I am searching for is the procedure to repack the front wheel bearings...It's whatever the service is that's required every 30,000 miles. I guessing it also includes cleaning the hubs.

I'd advise against WD40... it evaporates off in very short time, leaving nothing behind. Could I talk ya into using 30W motor oil instead? Not detergent, just cheapo non-detergent oil.

The SIMPLE way to repack wheel bearings is to buy one of those cheap plastic double-cone things with a grease zerk on one side. Makes it EASY. If you don't want to go that route, we'll talk you through the OLD way, though... :)

Thanks guys! I guess what I am searching for is the procedure to repack the front wheel bearings...It's whatever the service is that's required every 30,000 miles. I guessing it also includes cleaning the hubs.

The Haynes or chilton manuals cover things like this pretty good.
If you have questions they don't cover well we can help you understand. Maybe.:D

I'd advise against WD40... it evaporates off in very short time, leaving nothing behind. Could I talk ya into using 30W motor oil instead? Not detergent, just cheapo non-detergent oil.

The SIMPLE way to repack wheel bearings is to buy one of those cheap plastic double-cone things with a grease zerk on one side. Makes it EASY. If you don't want to go that route, we'll talk you through the OLD way, though... :)

Okay...I"ll bite. What plastic double-cone thingy!?? :confused:

The Haynes or chilton manuals cover things like this pretty good.
If you have questions they don't cover well we can help you understand. Maybe.:D

Ah, but you "misunderestimate" my lack of competence...I've looked at the Chilton manual...I THINK it's in English!! :bang:

Seriously...I love this forum and am constantly awed by the knowledge of the folks who participate!! :notworthy:

They sell them at most auto stores, you get 2 disks looks like this (). There is a greese fitting in one of them. You put the bearing inbetween them and pump it full of greese.

Seriously...I love this forum and am constantly awed by the knowledge of the folks who participate!! :notworthy:

You get a lot of practice when you own a jeep. Some of it has to stick. :laugh:

You really don't want one, it detracts from the experience. It is part of an ancient ritual practiced from the early 40's until today. To be one with the great cosmic machine one must first experience the erotic pleasure of being covered up to your elbows with wheel bearing grease. And there are a few who still swear by it for arthritis.
YouTube - Correct way to pack a wheel bearing
this is the organic method or would that be analog.:dunno:
I don't think this is what Tim had in mind, you can find them for a lot less I think.
Sierra Wheel Bearing Packer, Marine, Sierra at Sportsman's Guide

Some times you have to read it more than twice.:cool:

Ah, but you "misunderestimate" my lack of competence...I've looked at the Chilton manual...I THINK it's in English!! :bang:

Acoustic, I think. :D :D :D

FORTY-EIGHT BUCKS??? Amazon's got 'em for FIVE bucks!

Oh, d'joy of packing wheel bearings... :) I've always used the fingers of my "grease" hand, curled over the top, to press the bearing down onto the grease, though. It's a little slower, but it's not as bad about getting air bubbles into the pack.

I always had one of these in my box -
350_34550.JPG

I would keep a set of spare bearings in it and it would keep the spare grease clean.

Is this one of those things that chops nuts and makes tuna salad??

I always had one of these in my box -
350_34550.JPG

I would keep a set of spare bearings in it and it would keep the spare grease clean.

When you think you've dumbed it down enough for me...Dumb it down some more!!

"misunderestimate" - to incorrectly underestimate, or to incorrectly incorrectly estimate. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom