mylittlecj5

RIP Mike, we'll all miss you
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'74 CJ-5,
360 AMC Engine.
35x12.50x15 TSL Super Swamper tires.

In a frame off rebuild for a long time...
humor me here, im at work, and cant find my calculators on the phone.
what would be the wheel speed difference at say, 4000 rpm if the front runs 3.54 gears, and the rear runs 3.73s?
also figure 35" tires, with the T-150 in second gear, and the Dana 20 in low range.
what im looking for is to see if its worth it to install my extra front axle in the jeep, to help hook up the tires for our next race. I have a bad traction problem in the dirt drags hooking up, and thought if i could "pull" the front a little, it would help keep a straight line down the track. I could do the same effect with smaller tires on the front, but I dont have any available.
and yes i know about not driving that combination on hard surfaces...

thanks for the last line, I was about to ask " Are you out of your freeking mind??"
with out looking up all the details I would say your just over 5% faster on the rear. Some how I would have thought a bias toward the front would have improved forward directional control.

humor me here, im at work, and cant find my calculators on the phone.
what would be the wheel speed difference at say, 4000 rpm if the front runs 3.54 gears, and the rear runs 3.73s?
also figure 35" tires, with the T-150 in second gear, and the Dana 20 in low range.
what im looking for is to see if its worth it to install my extra front axle in the jeep, to help hook up the tires for our next race. I have a bad traction problem in the dirt drags hooking up, and thought if i could "pull" the front a little, it would help keep a straight line down the track. I could do the same effect with smaller tires on the front, but I dont have any available.
and yes i know about not driving that combination on hard surfaces...

You should be fine. Your looking at a difference of .19 per rotation. Stay in the soft dirt and mud and I don't see a problem. Many touring cars run the same type ratios (but opposite distribution as was stated). I agree - you want the higher wheel speed on the front... :)

As for tire RPM's - have no idea... :) What is the ratio of your Transmission in 2nd gear as well as the Dana 20 low range?

You should be fine. Your looking at a difference of .19 per rotation. Stay in the soft dirt and mud and I don't see a problem. Many touring cars run the same type ratios (but opposite distribution as was stated). I agree - you want the higher wheel speed on the front... :)

As for tire RPM's - have no idea... :) What is the ratio of your Transmission in 2nd gear as well as the Dana 20 low range?

I think if you check the "Touring cars" have a center differential, but I agree on dirt it should not be a problem.;)

Some even have electronic center diffs - but I read where a few run higher wheel speeds on the front...
Hell! As little time that most of those beasts spend on the ground, I don't really think it matters! :laugh: Those cars are bad :censored: !

Some even have electronic center diffs - but I read where a few run higher wheel speeds on the front...
Hell! As little time that most of those beasts spend on the ground, I don't really think it matters! :laugh: Those cars are bad :censored: !

Rodger That! I like the old pro rally rides like the RS200 Ford, Lancia Stratos &the Renault R5.:drool:

The Lancia kicks :censored:! It is damn amazing what they can do with those vehicles!

To bad Pro Rally never took off in the states.:(

Weird huh! You would have though it would have as crazy as it is! :)

Thread Hijack!

You know what else I can't believe never took off here? Sprint Boat Racing! One of the most insane motor sports I have ever watched! Why it isn't m ore popular - I'll never know... :( -->> Australian V8superboats Jet Sprint Championships

&

USSBA Home Page

Rodger That, Wow!
They do have some wild jet boat racing in rivers in the northwest.;)

That they do! But the closed course stuff is - WOW!!! :)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

CJ, I am still at work, with no numbers in front of me.
my plan was to turn the front wheels faster than the rears, for directional control.
the dirt drags we did last year taught us that i really overpower my available traction, and i cant get a straight line run without backing out of the throttle.
I must be thinking about the numbers backwards, are we sure the tires will spin slower on the front with my numbers?

CJ, I am still at work, with no numbers in front of me.
my plan was to turn the front wheels faster than the rears, for directional control.
the dirt drags we did last year taught us that i really overpower my available traction, and i cant get a straight line run without backing out of the throttle.
I must be thinking about the numbers backwards, are we sure the tires will spin slower on the front with my numbers?
Ooops! Got side tracked on that one!

You are correct..

Suppose at 2000 rpm the 3.54 is doing 50 MPH, the 3.73 is only doing 47....

The front end is pulling... My bad! :)

Ah! Cool! That means my little plan might work! I just need a little pull fromthe front axle to help guide the Jeep down the track, and that sounds just right to me!
Thanks a bunch, guys! You too CJ! :laugh:

Weird huh! You would have though it would have as crazy as it is! :)

Thread Hijack!

You know what else I can't believe never took off here? Sprint Boat Racing! One of the most insane motor sports I have ever watched! Why it isn't m ore popular - I'll never know... :( -->> Australian V8superboats Jet Sprint Championships

&

USSBA Home Page
They started building a track for the Jet Sprint boats about 30 miles north of my house in Wa state. I'm sure by now its finished (or closed down). Some of you guys in the Seattle area might try and take in a race! It was just south of Centralia, and north of Castle Rock somewhere...

They started building a track for the Jet Sprint boats about 30 miles north of my house in Wa state. I'm sure by now its finished (or closed down). Some of you guys in the Seattle area might try and take in a race! It was just south of Centralia, and north of Castle Rock somewhere...
I bet a video of a mud boggin' MyLTTL CJ on the sprinting course would be kewl... :) :)

I bet a video of a mud boggin' MyLTTL CJ on the sprinting course would be kewl... :) :)

Yea...Too bad that course is 2100 miles from me now! :laugh:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom