More on YJ Booster Swaps

More on YJ Booster Swaps

fitzp20102

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
83' CJ-7 258 with MOPAR FI kit 44 rear from Scout-locked F&R 36" Swampers-trail ride only, 78 CJ-7 258 stock all around street ride, '42-2A work in progress
A slightly more in depth technical question about the swap...

The eye on the end of the old CJ push rod is smaller than the eye on the new YJ booster pushrod. So yes the eye fits over the shaft on the CJ's brake pedal, but there is some 'slop'. Has anyone else run into this? Is there a bushing I'm missing or something?

Has anyone used a combination of the two pushrods during the frequently seen adjustable coupler method? That's where threads are cut onto the rods and then a coupler is used to achieve adjustment and therefore the most appropriate pushrod length. The pushrods are different diameters too, so the coupler would have to convert/change sizes, but I think I can find one at the hardware store that will do that for me.

Thoughts?

A slightly more in depth technical question about the swap...

The eye on the end of the old CJ push rod is smaller than the eye on the new YJ booster pushrod. So yes the eye fits over the shaft on the CJ's brake pedal, but there is some 'slop'. Has anyone else run into this? Is there a bushing I'm missing or something?

Has anyone used a combination of the two pushrods during the frequently seen adjustable coupler method? That's where threads are cut onto the rods and then a coupler is used to achieve adjustment and therefore the most appropriate pushrod length. The pushrods are different diameters too, so the coupler would have to convert/change sizes, but I think I can find one at the hardware store that will do that for me.

Thoughts?
Have you considered swapping in a yj pedal assembly?

Have you considered swapping in a yj pedal assembly?

I have. Yes. I even have the pedal assembly. Is it a direct bolt up, like the booster? Are there any clutch related consequences?

Look in my stickied thread in the drive.train forum. The yj petal assembly is a bolt on replacement the only mod you have.to do is drill a hole in the firewall for an extra support bracket that the yj booster has. But that is optional.

As far as your clutch pedal goes if you have a manual clutch linkage you shouldbe able to measure the.spot where it connects your orignal pedal and punch a hole in the new pedal in the same location. Just make sure.the geometry is the same.

Now you may actually be able to get a retaining ring puller and remove the yj clutch pedal and replace it with the cj one.

You will just have.to compare the two and see whats best. Either way I think you should use the yj assmebly because then the brake geometry will be correct. If you want you can pm me for my number and give me a call and maybe I can help you out more.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom