motor question

liftedhorse

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1990 f350 crew cab,national spring lift w/ fox piggy backs,37" goodyear mtrs
2006 Ford Focus
1985 cj7 258,
I have a 1985 CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l motor has 160000 i assume orignal.It shows no leakes and runs like a champ except its loud as all hell.It kinda sounds like loud lifters maybe a timing chain.Its quiet at item and from there on its gets louder with rpm.Anyone have any thoughts.Thanks

have the valves adjusted

Does it sound like only 1 lifter or a bunch of them?

take the valve cover off first and see if you have any rockers loose, if so retorque them and see if that fixed it. start simple move on to the more difficult stuff next, like the timing chain, which could definately be the problem with 160k on it, they have a nylon cam gear.

Ok so it sounds like more than one lifter.I pulled the valve cover today and none of the rocker arms are loose.It sounds more like the noise is coming fromt he front of the engine.Im lost its not lifters i think but have no clue hwat it can be.Is there a way to check the chain or do i have to pull apart to see ?

Ok that link did nothing for me mine runs like a raped ape all day everyday my motor is just loud as hell.I am gonna pull the cover and switch the chain and guides this week.But i did however run into a buddy today that has a complete motor carb and all that he will sell me for 400 so i also think ill pick that up this week.Let you all know what i come up with.

take the valve cover off first and see if you have any rockers loose, if so retorque them and see if that fixed it. start simple move on to the more difficult stuff next, like the timing chain, which could definately be the problem with 160k on it, they have a nylon cam gear.

X2 on the nylon cam gear POS!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom