Motorcraft 2100 post swap questions

Motorcraft 2100 post swap questions

elwood blues

Always Off-Roading Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1978 CJ7 4.2L Comp Cam & valve train, MC2100 carb, MSD ignition, Dana 30 front, T18 trans, Dana 20 txfr, AMC 20 rear.
I finally got my carb swap done and the CJ running again. But I have a few lingering questions. The Motorcraft carb replaced a single barrel Carter YF. The Carter only had a mechanical choke. The Motorcraft has an electric/mechanical choke, other than converting to a manual choke, does anyone know how to utilize the Motorcraft choke?

I still have an exhuast leak, it's a decent ticking that no matter what I tighten, I still have that exhaust tick. I was thinking of taking the exhaust manifold back off and applying a liberal amount of Permatex Ultra Copper. Does anyone know if that will work? Thanks.

Thurston

To get the electric choke working - just hook the choke coil to a switched positive (only on when the key is on run) 12v feed.

Did you try using new bolts on the exhaust manifold? Maybe the tensile strenght of the threads was comprimised . I never have used any type of sealant on an exhaust manifold. Where is the black mark from where its leaking?

I didn't realize that the choke was that simple, thanks CJ. GPER, new hardware never crossed my mind, I'll have to see what I can get my hands on, I'll let you know. Thanks guys :chug:

You might take a look at the doughnut gasket at the collector too. If you pull the manifold back off, take it to a machine shop and have them tell you if its warped or not. The only thing I've ever used any exhaust sealant on is my jetboat because it has aluminum manifolds that expand and contract more.

Hole, I bought a new aftermarket exhaust manifold, I know the doughnut you speak of, but this new manifold has that cone shape molded straight in to it. So I didn't need one. Could the new manifold be warpped already?

I would'nt think so but weirder things have happened. Try and isolate the leak by either useing your hand or a small mirror. The leak generally fog the mirror up for a second. Knowing its a new manifold I'd look hard at the collector again. Maybe the old exhaust pipe has an irregularity, bent or warped ? Hope you find it before the ticking drives you nuts;)

Thanks hole, I replaced the entire exhaust while I was at it, so that's all new too. I'll have to try that with an inspection mirror and see what I find. Thanks again.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks