Trans My '85 CJ7 will not stay in 2H. It will run normally in 4L

Trans My '85 CJ7 will not stay in 2H. It will run normally in 4L

jdg3cj85

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'85 CJ7, 4.2L straight 6, T176
for the past couple of weeks, I have been trying to diagnose and seal a Transmission fluid leak with my T-176 Transmission in my '85 CJ7 . After a lot of checking and looking, I thought we had the leak fixed (at least greatly diminished). I jumped into the Jeep yesterday to go to the gym, and as I went up the hill in my neighborhood, the Transmission made this terrible noise, and suddenly, my gears were grinding, and I was not connected. The only way to re-engage the drivetrain was to shift up to 4L. Am I missing something simple? Did my Transmission just give up the ghost? I would appreciate input, as I am no mechanic, but me and my Chilton's Guide have done a number of things in the past.

I agree with 'hole', most likely linkage. If having issues with 2H and 4H, but 4L is working fine, check the large bolt that goes through the two aluminum 'ears' and holds the shifter, then look for binds and missing pins at the ends of the two shift rods that come out of the case. You can also test the shifting from underneath the Jeep to watch bushings and stuff while you shift. You have to manually move the inside (high) rod first. From both in neutral, first move the inside rod to high (or low) then move the outside rod to the same position. To shift them out again, move the inside (high) rod to neutral, then the other rod. The lockout bullets on the rods inside the case won't let you do this backwards. You can watch the bushings/bolts/etc of the linkage while doing this test.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom