my cj5 needs an e-brake!

my cj5 needs an e-brake!

fatbaldjeeper

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1970 cj5 with 1980 buick 3.8 and 1980 cj5 axles. no idea on trans and transfer and gearing yet.
Hi guys. im new here and this is my first post. after 18 years of wanting a jeep i finally got one! its a 1970 CJ5 but it has some newer parts and i dont know how to make the ebrake work. i dont know if this is a factory v6 rig or not, but it currently has a v6 from a 1979 buick, im not sure what Transmission , and a Dana 20 Transfer Case . also previous owner told me the axles are from a 1980 CJ5 so luckily i have front discs but heres my question-1970 should have a dana 18 with a driveline ebrake right? would that explain why i have only one ebrake cable under the jeep instead of 2? so how can i turn that one cable into 2 cables that i can hook to my 1980 rear drums? also i believe from the shape i have an AMC20 rear end...

heres a few other questions about the CJ5 too if you guys can help. rear main seal on Transfer Case leaks a huge amount. how do i change it? looks to have a saginaw box on the front. also leaks terribly. how can i id it? i googled the part # on top and got nothing. seems like my steering column is too long and it hits my fat gut. are there shorter ones made? thanks for any help!

I believe the single cable runs to a cross member behind the T case. There is a "T" think it attaches to that splits the cable to 2 separate cables.

Thats how it is on my 74 CJ5 with Dana 20 ... not sure about driveline ebrake...

If you want, I can take a picture of my set up once home...

:chug:
~ JR

And :ww: to the site! :cool:

Sure i would love a pic! thanks! yeah i could be crazy but i was under the impression that the dana 18 vehicles used a driveline ebrake so i was thinking that is why i only have the one cable... and mine came from the factory with a dana 18-i think...

Sorry man, I forgot... Pulled my tranny out that night for a rebuild... :cool:

I'll get you a pic tonight when I get home.

If I get bored around work here in a little while, I'll try to find you a diagram somewhere online.:cool:

Again I have the Dana 20 , so not positive it's the same, but I have a single cable going all the way from brake pedal to rear X member like right above the diff, then it goes into a "T" thing that has two other cables attached, one running down to each rear wheel...

I don't know much about a drive line e-brake set up... Although I'm sure someone here does...

:chug:

~ JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom