Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980 CJ5
-Dana 300 twin stick transfercase
-T176 Transmission
-AMC 20 rear
-Dana 30 Front
Well took my cj to a local shop to get a new clutch, as it was slipping.....well...so I thought lol

I got a phone call and found out someone installed a centerforce II clutch kit most likely less than 3000 miles ago.... go figure lol

Ok so now...why the hell is my jeep slipping

so he checks the rear pinion and notices it's loose....mmmm ok, he digs further opens up the diff...and finds a locker someone installed...seems to be detroits "gearless" locker...and the pinion seals are toast...so not a lot of fluid in the diff....the locker seems to be in disrepair...., the site selling the gearless locker states it needs detriot lockers gearless attitive of some sort and I can only assume low fluid could of damaged it....hence causing the slipping....

So, now just waiting to see what's going to happen next...I think for right now, due to fundage I'll just have them install spider gears and seals and all.....

anyone else use this "gearless" locker?

At some point I'll add a locker, but that's way down the road...much more pressing things need done to this CJ5 lol

anyways, will up date once I get the final bill of health, hopefully that's all that's "wrong" and nothing too costly lol

on the plus side, you have a great clutch.

i've owned Trutrac's, regular Detroit lockers and the Rubicon selectable lockers. no experience with the gearless version or other *lunch box* type lockers.

from what i understand it's a light duty unit. now that i've read what Eaton has to say about them, it's confirmed, they're for light duty stuff.

i wouldn't worry about the *loss* if you want to call it that. when you're ready look at one of the other options on the market. (Trutrac for price and performance)

The power of lockers isn’t just for the big rigs. The serious traction provided by Eaton’s Detroit Gearless Locker dramatically changes both the fun and function of any ATV. By eliminating individual wheel spin you’ll be able to go new places and work on a greater range of driving surfaces.
The Detroit Gearless Locker doesn’t rely on internal gear teeth, so noise is almost non existent. Instead, the units locking power relies on high strength clutch discs energized by a Tunkenel-V Power Driver cross pin.
Light Utility Vehicles (LUV) that haul loads on construction sites, golf courses and factory floors can also benefit from the smooth locking operation of the Detroit Gearless Locker. This durable and reliable locker increases traction performance on any surface including slippery mud, wet pavement, loose dirt and ice.

on the plus side, you have a great clutch.

i've owned Trutrac's, regular Detroit lockers and the Rubicon selectable lockers. no experience with the gearless version or other *lunch box* type lockers.

from what i understand it's a light duty unit. now that i've read what Eaton has to say about them, it's confirmed, they're for light duty stuff.

i wouldn't worry about the *loss* if you want to call it that. when you're ready look at one of the other options on the market. (Trutrac for price and performance)

Yeah that's pretty much what I'll end up doing....just going to go open right now....and later I'll go with a selectable locker....loved the function of my rubicons lockers.....most likely will go with ox....but who knows lol could end up with entirely different axles all together by the time it's done lol

Sent from my iPhone using Slapatalk

You're lucky you didnt burn up the pinion bearings and take the ring gear out along with the pinion :(

You didn't mention what gears you have. Might be time to go larger gears.

Kinda a waste of money putting an open diff in knowing you are going to lock it in the future.

Plus the expense of re-setting the gears at a shop.

Now might be the time. . . .:D

You're lucky you didnt burn up the pinion bearings and take the ring gear out along with the pinion :(

lol was pretty close to it, new stuff going in old :dung: coming out lol

You didn't mention what gears you have. Might be time to go larger gears.

Kinda a waste of money putting an open diff in knowing you are going to lock it in the future.

Plus the expense of re-setting the gears at a shop.

Now might be the time. . . .:D

Well I would loved to put in some 4.10 s but right now it's about what cash on hand I have right now...I can put a locker in, in a year or two when it's finally ready to trail ride, right now it's all about getting it road worthy, going through everything.....brakes are next :-) and a tune up (week three of ownership) lol

Heck will most likely end up with new, or new to me, axels before it's all done anyways lol

Oh as for gears it's whatever is stock with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ....need to clean up the axle and check for markings....or jack up the rear and find out the old fashion way lol

Here's a pic of the mess that came out of my rear....oh wait, that didn't sound good lol

A few broken parts lol and teeth chewed off of other parts...

Had "stock" spider gears installed for now due to cost...can do a locker later when other things are taken care of....rides soooo much better now no slipping lol

c6e4c0ed-67b3-fbef.jpg

c6e4c0ed-67c7-e7bd.jpg

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom