Need Clutch Kit Recommendations!

Need Clutch Kit Recommendations!

TrebleHook

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 with 1985 258/Ebay T-5/Dana 300 - twin sticks/AMC 20 Rear 3.73/Dana 30 Front 3.73/Alloy Wide Track Axles/2" Body Lift/Gremlins.....

More to follow....
I am replacing my clutch when I "upgrade" (insert comments here) my T-4 to a T-5 .

Any recommendations? I'm searching 4wd.com and Quadratec.

Cheers:chug:!
TrebleHook

Hayes makes a good clutch kit, any of the big brand names are good. The parts store brands are fine for normal everyday driving. I bought a rebuilt one from the local clutch service and had em put stiffer springs in it, which is the way to go if your on a budget and need a better than stock clutch.

Droooid 2

Centerforce
They make several clutches. Three of which would work good in a CJ:

Certerforce I - Although considered an OEM replacement this clutch is more stout and has better holding power than what the factory put in.

Centerforce II - This is a heavy duty clutch and will stand up to many years of abuse. Centerforce says this clutch is "ideal for off-road and towing applications"

Centerforce DualFriction - Although I would not recommend this for your jeep I am going to mention it anyway. This is an extreme duty clutch that is popular with the hot rod groups. It can hold up to a high performance engine or extreme off-roading where you would be worried about burning up a lesser clutch.

Since you have a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l that is close to stock I would recommend a Centerforce I or a Centerforce II.
Check out this link: Centerforce Clutches
Centerforce.jpg

I would think long and hard on this one. The clutch, IMHO, is not a week link and center force is way more money. If your going to run tractor tires in the mud for money I would say go for it but for a road Jeep, as in still driven on the street at least half the time, I run a stock Borg and Beck design. Calls itself "Sachs", and have never had a complaint. I did just replace mine and for no real good reason as it turns out.:eek:

there is plenty of places to spend money on these things be sure you are getting the most bang for your buck.

Last edited:
On the setup I mentioned before I got clutch disk, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and resurfaced regeared flywheel for $125, and the stiffer springs. With the T-5 your not gonna want to put enough stress on the tranny or clutch, to make a stock type clutch slip, anyway. You'd be pretty much throwing your money away spending a ton on a strong clutch with a weak tranny.
DROOOID 2

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom