Need flexplate-401 to th400/Quadra Trac

Need flexplate-401 to th400/Quadra Trac

Davezilla

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
74 CJ5 Dirt Drag Jeep
I am having a real difficult time finding a flexplate to fit my race Jeep. I am dropping a AMC 401 in a 79 CJ7 with factory GM Turbo 400 /Quadra Trac. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello and welcome! :chug: I spent quite a bit of time looking for the correct flexplate and came up with nothing.

What year 401? I can check my interchange manual when I get home.

You also might want to contact these people -->> Catalog AMC & Jeep Flywheels: Bulkpart transmission parts

I bet they can tell you what will work.

I need a little more info from you to be able to pinpoint the flywheel / flexplate swap info. What donor vehicles came with a 401 and a GM Turbo 400 ?

I will check the date code when I get home this evening. I believe it is a 1970 block, but I am not for sure. The GM Turbo 400 and Quadra Trac and both stock items out of my 79 CJ7 . If my memory is correct , my concern is the GM Turbo 400 uses a torque converter that has 3 bolts for mounting to the flexplate and the Chrysler Transmission with Quadra Trac used 4 bolt holes for mounting the converter. If this is not correct, maybe someone will let me know. Thanks for your help. David

401 was available in Jeep Wagoneer, J10/J20 Jeep Trucks. Both had the GM Turbo 400 /Quadra Trac available as a stock option. At least that is what I am told. I found a stock replacement flexplate in California at a Jeep salvage yard for a Wagoneer. I do not believe the stock flexplate will stand up to the amount hp I will be making. My Jeep will be raced at a 100 yard dirt drag track(s). I ran a 67 CJ5 about 30 years ago with the Southeastern 4WD Racing Association. David

are we getting into the problem of the externaly ballanced crank assy??
Are you having the engine ballanced for the new flex plate?

No, my problem is locating a flexplate that will work with this engine swap. I really need a sfi plate, I will be producing up to 550 hp. I do not believe a stock replacement will be able to hold this much hp. Thanks, David

I'm running into a road block finding a non AMC flexplate to fit your app in my Hollander interchange manual. That pretty much means that you have to find an aftermarket AMC plate as there are none that will swap in.

What really sucks is I can find them for the Torqueflite Transmission -->> AMC Jeep Hudson Studebaker - Flywheels & Flexplates

Stock replacement -->> http://www.performanceamstyle.com/Cart/description.php?II=139&sessid=fc3bd6c&divi=amc

BTW - Since your going to be running a special combo, why not have a converter made with the 440 Transmission side but a torquflite engine side? We did that on our Gremlin drag cars years ago.

Also, you might be interested in this thread detail a problem such as your. -->> http://www.bulltear.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8499&view=next&sid=88f72c63b16ff0ec6245ba176b68e57d

Also might want to check Reactor - they can take on of their AMC flexplates and put in the GM holes for ya -->> http://www.reactorproducts.com/mainProducts.html Just need to call them and get them to punch a different pattern

Thanks for all the help, I will keep these posts for future reference. After 20 phone calls and email requests, I located a shop in Kentucky that can build me the flexplate I need. If you need help with a Jeep build, the shop manager (owner) (I do not know which), was extremely helpful and knowledgeable. The name of the shop is Performance OffRoad.
If I can be of any help to any of you all, give me a shout.
davezillamotorsports@yahoo.com
Thanks, David

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom