Need help finding a flywheel for 304 manual tranny

Need help finding a flywheel for 304 manual tranny

Stormrider

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1977 CJ7
304 V8, 4spd,
Why am I having such a hard time finding a flywheel for my CJ7 ? Seems like all they carry are flywheels for the 360 motor or AMC 304 but automatic Transmission . I have a AMC 304 with a manual Transmission . Can anyone tell me where I might find one?

Storm.

do you presently have a flywheel? the AMC 304 internal balanced so the crank, balancer, rods and flywheel are a matched set. for best results the moving parts would need to be balanced to match the flywheel. Or maybe the other way around.:cool:
If you have the original it may be better to have it resurfaced or even have a ring put on it.
Any way, I bought one used for a AMC 304 and the outfit very possibly has another at a much better price than the hays wheel, I will check when I get home and see who they are.

Why am I having such a hard time finding a flywheel for my CJ7 ? Seems like all they carry are flywheels for the 360 motor or AMC 304 but automatic Transmission . I have a AMC 304 with a manual Transmission . Can anyone tell me where I might find one?

Storm.

do you presently have a flywheel? the AMC 304 internal balanced so the crank, balancer, rods and flywheel are a matched set. for best results the moving parts would need to be balanced to match the flywheel. Or maybe the other way around.:cool:
If you have the original it may be better to have it resurfaced or even have a ring put on it.
Any way, I bought one used for a AMC 304 and the outfit very possibly has another at a much better price than the hays wheel, I will check when I get home and see who they are.

Well I bought this one today from Race Pages. It's made by Omix-ADA and supposedly it's fit a 77 CJ7 Golden Eagle AMC 304 with manual tranny. What do you guys think? Would I have to take this to the machine shop that has my block and crank right now for them to balance it or would it just bolt up just like it is? I guess worse case scenario, if it won't work, I could get replace the ring gear. I wonder if the same shop can do that....:rolleyes: Hopefully it will work without too much hassle.

Here's the link. It's the 3rd item down the page. Please let me know what you guys think.[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://www.racepages.com/products/?N=4294962141&Ntt=Cj7+Flywheel[/FONT][/FONT]

I got mine from Krage motor sports

Krage MotorSports - Home Page

I can't recommend anything one way or the other but I want to hear all about whatever you decide to do. :cool:

We are kind of on the same raft. I'm just not to the point yet.:D

Hays makes one: Part # 16-132
You may have to special order from your local supplier, or Hays 16-132 - Hays Billet Steel Flywheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com or Hays 16-132 Flywheel

That one from Hays is kind of pricey. I will wait and see if this one that I ordered today is going to work for me or not......hopefully it will.

I got mine from Krage motor sports

Krage MotorSports - Home Page

I can't recommend anything one way or the other but I want to hear all about whatever you decide to do. :cool:

We are kind of on the same raft. I'm just not to the point yet.:D
[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][/FONT][/FONT]

I will post something about what comes of the flywheel that is coming. If I don't get back here to this thread, you can read about it in my build
thread. [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/stormriders-77-cj7-golden-eagle-restoration-7963/[/FONT][/FONT]

I did alot of research about this same problem. Because AMC v8 engines are externally balanced it's important to get a AMC 304 flywheel for a AMC 304 or to have the rotating essembly balanced by a machine shop with whatever flywheel you use.
The flywheels for a inline 6, AMC 304 ,360 all look the same except for the backside. The different flywheels have the added weight at different locations and the flywheel will only bolt up one way.
I came upon this problem when I got a NOS engine and found out I had a brand new never run flat faced crank that was only avail. 1970-71 and was told by 2 different places that they had not seen a flywheel for that crank in the last 3 years and this was from places that specialized in AMC motors.I changed out the crank and used a 360 flywheel. Can't feel any vibrations but would have had the motor balanced if it was still apart.
By the way, If it's only your ring gear thats bad,you can heat it up with a rosebud tip on a torch and replace it.Comes right off and I think I have a good one off a 6 cyl. flywheel that I have.
Sorry but I can't remember the web page I got the info from but they had the casting numbers and a description of what each flywheel had on the back.

I did alot of research about this same problem. Because AMC v8 engines are externally balanced it's important to get a AMC 304 flywheel for a AMC 304 or to have the rotating essembly balanced by a machine shop with whatever flywheel you use.
The flywheels for a inline 6, AMC 304 ,360 all look the same except for the backside. The different flywheels have the added weight at different locations and the flywheel will only bolt up one way.
I came upon this problem when I got a NOS engine and found out I had a brand new never run flat faced crank that was only avail. 1970-71 and was told by 2 different places that they had not seen a flywheel for that crank in the last 3 years and this was from places that specialized in AMC motors.I changed out the crank and used a 360 flywheel. Can't feel any vibrations but would have had the motor balanced if it was still apart.
By the way, If it's only your ring gear thats bad,you can heat it up with a rosebud tip on a torch and replace it.Comes right off and I think I have a good one off a 6 cyl. flywheel that I have.
Sorry but I can't remember the web page I got the info from but they had the casting numbers and a description of what each flywheel had on the back.

Thanks for the info 83cj7. I am going to check with the machine shop and see if they can resurface and replace the ring gear or if I get a new flywheel could they balance it for me. Either way, I am going to make sure that it's done right before I put the motor back.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom