Need help Identifying

sbrodacz

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
-78 CJ7
-Chevy 350
-TH400
I've been trying to clean the CJ up a bit. The previous owner who did the 350 swap did not do the cleanest job. On the back drivers in the engine bay, there is a round container. It looks like it has 3 hoses coming off of. One of the hoses is connected to another hose and the other two are not connected to anything. It has been bothering me all day trying to figure out what it is. Its dark out, so I am not sure how these pictures will turn out. It is in the bottom right of the pictures.

dscf0010dj.jpg

dscf0011qh.jpg

Is this some kind of test? Well it's your evaporative canister for gas tank and carb. vapors. Original equipment.

yep thats what it is not really needed with the 350 seeing as you don't have the rest of the emissions equipment

Ok great, so than all 3 hoses should be left open? There is the hose coming from below that I thought connected to one of the hoses, but I am not sure.

If you have a non vented fuel cap the the evap. can. is your tank vent and you will need to leave the correct outlet open or your tank may vacumm lock and starve the carb.

If you can hook it up properly,the vapor can is not so bad to have.
You save gas by saving the fumes that would nomally be released into your garage (or the wind).

I'm just going to assume you don't need an emissions test.

If you can hook it up properly,the vapor can is not so bad to have.
You save gas by saving the fumes that would nomally be released into your garage (or the wind).

I'm just going to assume you don't need an emissions test.

I don't think a 78 needs to pass emissions. I think In IL its early 90s and up.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom