Need info.

Need info.

Bam

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-7 ENGINE-I6 / AUTO QUAD TRAC
I bought a 1979 CJ7 i have been doing mechanic work for years. i am new to the world of jeeps. I have read many articales on engine and drivetrain dos and donts but now i am confussed as ever. I have a 79 CJ7 / inline 6 with power stearing , with the autotrac set up. I have since learned about the off set axles and Transfer Case . I would like to install a throttle body 350, 700r4 Transmission , with a 20 Transfer Case from what i read i should be able to keep my stock front and rear ends with this set up? Is that correct? Can that set up be done? Is that configuration to long ? or do i need to go a diff route ? any help would be great thanks

You have a GM Turbo 400 automatic Transmission with a QuadraTrac Transfer Case . That TCase has an offset output. That means you must have a rear axle with the differential on the right side. That will be a problem with your swap. A Dana 20 and most other TCase options will have a centered rear output.

Next issue is the length of the tranny. Your GM Turbo 400 is 24 3/8 inches long. A 700 r4 is 30 3/4 inches long. That's too long for a CJ.

Oh, and welcome to the site Bam!
:ww:

EDIT: What are you trying to accomplish here? Are you having trouble with your drive train now?
It's true the QuadraTrac Full Time Transfer Case has a bad reputation. There are kits to convert it to a part time TCase. There are some that will say the QuadraTrac is a very good TCase.

Last edited:
well i would like to accomplish a v8 and get away from quad trac set up. With it being on road and off road worthy with out getting to radical or a huge buget. I dont mind putting in the wrench time just need some direction on wich way to go. Will use the jeep in the mud and on the road often and would like fuel injection if possible. any suggestions would be greatly apprciated.

well since i have drove the jeep i like the drive train the quad trak works nicely but the engine is worn out. i need info on possibly just puting a chevy TBI 350 that i already have i novak does not look like they offer a conversion for that that i could see i may be wrong tho.

A single cardan driveline does not recognize compound angles ;)

A AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is easy to love. A rebuild, a 4.0 head, ignition upgrade and TBI maybe even build a stroker. :D
could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.:cool:

Have you considered a reman AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l with the Howell TBI? Oh, Welcome to the site.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom