Need SBC swap help

Need SBC swap help

Robbp

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ 5 360ci
Hi guys,
well my project '85 CJ7 is truely that...a project. I can break the 4 cyl loose-she is seized tighter than...., so it looks like I need to replace the engine. I have the T-4 tranny and Dana 300 xfer case. I am a weekend warrior mechanic and have either a 305 or a 283 SBC to replace the 2.5 .
My questions are:
Will the T-4 mount right up to the SBC or will I need an adapter?
Will the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel all mount up and work?
What wiring will I need to take care of...as in do I need to add or take wires out?
What are the minimum requirements to get this done.
I realize exhaust is an issue probably better left to the professionals.
Is there a swap out radiator from another make or model of car that will work or do I have to look at new rediators? what hoses work?
Will the steering shaft have to be modified to accomdate the larger engine.
What else am I going to have to do to get this CJ7 on the road?

THanks
Robb

Hi guys,
well my project '85 CJ7 is truely that...a project. I can break the 4 cyl loose-she is seized tighter than...., so it looks like I need to replace the engine. I have the T-4 tranny and Dana 300 xfer case. I am a weekend warrior mechanic and have either a 305 or a 283 SBC to replace the 2.5 .
My questions are:
Will the T-4 mount right up to the SBC or will I need an adapter?
Will the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel all mount up and work?
What wiring will I need to take care of...as in do I need to add or take wires out?
What are the minimum requirements to get this done.
I realize exhaust is an issue probably better left to the professionals.
Is there a swap out radiator from another make or model of car that will work or do I have to look at new rediators? what hoses work?
Will the steering shaft have to be modified to accomdate the larger engine.
What else am I going to have to do to get this CJ7 on the road?

THanks
Robb

The clutch, pressure plate & flywheel will have to be for the SBC.;)
The 4 bangers clutch & pressure plate are way to small.
The flywheel is engine specific.
The wiring should match up better.
Absolute Radiator makes a aluminum crossflow rad for that swap, I paid $338.00 for mine.
I don't know of a bolt in stocker that the hoses line up.
The SBC isn't any bigger than the 304V8 so the steering shaft though tight, it will fit. Motor mounts can be sourced from various places like Advanced Adapters, Novack, M.O.R.E..

you'll need to find a stronger tranny a T-4 will never hold up, you need 5 wires to make a SBC start and run assuming you'll be using an hei dist. one switched 12v for the dist. one large + cable to the starter solenoid, another momentary switched + to the starter, you'll need a wire from the alternator to the battery (assuming you'll use a one wire alternator) and of course a ground. now this is the most basic wiring for a sbc and you should be able to use most of the jeep factory wiring for these functions. they do make drop in conversion radiators. you will need an adapter for the tranny if you use a jeep tranny, if you use a chevy auto you can use the Dana 300 but you will also need an adapter for that as well. you are most likely going to need driveshaft mods as well. and you can buy conversion motor mounts. novak, and advanced adapter will be your friends in all of this.

this is a common swap for jeeps, but there is a lot to it, it might be a better option to find a good AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l that someone swapped out for a 350. people sell em real cheap they make decent power, there darn near bullet proof, no adapters, maybe a new clutch and motor mounts, and your on the road. only thing is that the T-4 is still weak even behind a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l so you might consider swapping that out as well

Thanks for your help guys, I knew there was going to be some work to it, but I think it may be a little more than I want to invest in this particular jeep. I think I will try to find a running 2.5 to replace the original to get it running and go from there.

THanks for your help!!
Robb

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom