Need some 350 Advice

Need some 350 Advice

Coach

Active Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 / 4.2 I-6 / Auto / Dana 30 / Dana 300 / AMC 20 / Hard Top
I'm changing my plans for my CJ, I'm considering staying carburated and swapping in a 350 small block instead of a newer fuel injected LM7.

I want to keep it where I can do most of the work and learn about it as I go.

My question is, does anyone have any good recommendations for reading/sources about rebuilding a 350. I want to do most of the work myself, but will let the experts machine it and such.

Also, does anyone have a good machine shop in the N. Dallas area they would recommend?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Coach

HP books has a couple extremely detailed small block chevy books, one on rebuilding and another on the history of and how to build it up. Pretty much exactly what your looking for, and the books are large, well documented, great images, and cover only the small block. They will take you from zero to finished.

Im in the middle of a "move" literally, and have no idea of where they are, but will see if I can find you a link.

http://www.jegs.com/i/HP-Books/525/1-557-880298/10002/-1?parentProductId=1181409

http://www.jegs.com/i/HP-Books/525/1-557-884008/10002/-1?parentProductId=1151896

Last edited:
I feel I should add this tid bit. If you going to do a small block gen 1 motor, consider doing a TBI from 88-94ish donor vehicle. Its really simple, extremely reliable, they just run great. The thought of running a carbureted motor in a jeep makes me ill, remembering all the driveablility problems off road ( I just loath anything with a carb on it )

If your new to all of this, there is another book that will walk you through the TBI swap, and I mean walk you through it, its extremely well detailed book. This book is by far the best automotive how to book I own, and Ive got all of books on swapping/fuel injection that have been published up to the LSx family of books.

V8 TPI & TPI Engine Swap, JTR V8 conversion manual

Thanks Busted, I'm think I may buy both books on the rebuild and the TBI. I'm hoping to do the swap this next winter, so that would give me time to get some reading and research done.

I had thought about the TBI direction, but wasn't sure if it would just make things overly complicated. I was considering a TBI on my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , but didn't think it would be the best bang for my buck in the long run. A TBI 350 might make more sense.

Do you think with lot's of research and patience, a TBI swap is within the grasp of a motivated novice? Also, do you think a budget of $5,000 would cover the swap along with a 700R4 Transmission , and all the needed adapters and mounts?

Thanks,

Coach

Thanks Busted, I'm think I may buy both books on the rebuild and the TBI. I'm hoping to do the swap this next winter, so that would give me time to get some reading and research done.

I had thought about the TBI direction, but wasn't sure if it would just make things overly complicated. I was considering a TBI on my AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , but didn't think it would be the best bang for my buck in the long run. A TBI 350 might make more sense.

Do you think with lot's of research and patience, a TBI swap is within the grasp of a motivated novice? Also, do you think a budget of $5,000 would cover the swap along with a 700R4 Transmission , and all the needed adapters and mounts?

Thanks,

Coach

With the two books, if you have mechanical aptitude, its a no-brainer, and donors are plentiful.

$5k is more than you will need, you should be able to pull it off for significantly less than that if you work ebay and CL.

BTW, you can shop for both books at Amazon and ebay as well as jegs and summit, and other online retailers.

A stock 350 TBI is no power house, but good torque, decent fuel economy and great drive-ability. I have two roadmasters with TBIs as well an 89 Suburban, and I also had a 88 C30 Stake truck. All ran great.

With the two books, if you have mechanical aptitude, its a no-brainer, and donors are plentiful.

$5k is more than you will need, you should be able to pull it off for significantly less than that if you work ebay and CL.

BTW, you can shop for both books at Amazon and ebay as well as jegs and summit, and other online retailers.

A stock 350 TBI is no power house, but good torque, decent fuel economy and great drive-ability. I have two roadmasters with TBIs as well an 89 Suburban, and I also had a 88 C30 Stake truck. All ran great.

Good to know about cost. Don't most of the 350 TBI's come mated with a 700r4, when they are automatics?

I'm really after two things, drivability and fuel economy. I don't want a racer, just a CJ I can daily drive 90% of the time and lightly wheel the other 10%. I want to be able to drive it to New Mexico and Colorado, wheel it, then drive it home. I know it isn't the most comfortable of choices, but I bought it to replace my love of riding motorcycles long distances. So it seems really comfortable compared to a 500-1000 mile day in the saddle.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Coach

Good to know about cost. Don't most of the 350 TBI's come mated with a 700r4, when they are automatics?

I'm really after two things, drivability and fuel economy. I don't want a racer, just a CJ I can daily drive 90% of the time and lightly wheel the other 10%. I want to be able to drive it to New Mexico and Colorado, wheel it, then drive it home. I know it isn't the most comfortable of choices, but I bought it to replace my love of riding motorcycles long distances. So it seems really comfortable compared to a 500-1000 mile day in the saddle.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

Coach

Your welcome, yes, if its an automatic out of a car or half ton, it will have a 700R4 or 4L60e, and if its a heavy 3/4 or 1 ton it will have a GM Turbo 400 , or a 4L80e, depending on year.

The best fuel economy will come out of a TPI motor, and has more torque, but the TBI is more than you need for your description.

I have the HPBooks "How to rebuild your small-block Chevy" book I'll let you have for $12.00 + the ride. I've had it for years, but its still in very good condition. PM and let me know...

I feel I should add this tid bit. If you going to do a small block gen 1 motor, consider doing a TBI from 88-94ish donor vehicle. Its really simple, extremely reliable, they just run great. The thought of running a carbureted motor in a jeep makes me ill, remembering all the driveablility problems off road ( I just loath anything with a carb on it )

Good advice there. I ran a carb on mine at first with no luck off road.
I went with a tbi and love it now. Probally the best mod I've done.:chug:

Last edited:
Hey coach, I will share something else, about 2 weeks ago, I bought a 1995 G20 Van, 350 TBI, with a 4l60e for $160 with a rotted out brake line.

Runs like a dream... just does not stop. Anyhow, I dont need it, but I bought it, because Im always buying jeeps, and its just another donor. I will pull the "drop out" and fill the back of the van with scrap over the summer and in the fall take the thing to market. I love buying vans, they are really cheap, and make for great garbage cans !

These deals are out there, just have to know where to look...

Hey coach, I will share something else, about 2 weeks ago, I bought a 1995 G20 Van, 350 TBI, with a 4l60e for $160 with a rotted out brake line.

Runs like a dream... just does not stop. Anyhow, I dont need it, but I bought it, because Im always buying jeeps, and its just another donor. I will pull the "drop out" and fill the back of the van with scrap over the summer and in the fall take the thing to market. I love buying vans, they are really cheap, and make for great garbage cans !

These deals are out there, just have to know where to look...

I'm hoping to use a couple of friends I have in the Salvage business to get a good deal, but if that doesn't pan out I will look for a deal like the one you got. That's a great deal!

I'm hoping to pick up the rebuild book from the generous offer above, then I will be buying the TBI/TPI book you suggested too.

Thanks,
Coach

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom