Need some guidance please help!!

Need some guidance please help!!

Bart4

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79' CJ5
Hey guys I just bought this 79' CJ5 and it has a AMC 5.9 360 in it. It needs some tuning and I was wondering should I have the engnine worked on or look for a fuel injected motor?

I have the Amc 360 in my CJ5 with the stock carb. Ive run at some pretty off camber angles and havent had problems. If you have a solid 360 I see no reason to swap it out. If the carb does give you problems then Id look into a new or junkyard tbi swap before swapping motors.

yeah this would be the way I would prefer going. What type of carb are you running?

Just the old stock motorcraft. Not a bad carb. Looking at your CJ5 you probably get into more difficult stuff than I do. I "hear" the truck avenger from Holley is pretty descent also but I only know one guy that has one. Thats a 4 bbl though and youd have to swap manifolds and maybe upgrade the cam if your running a 2bbl like I am.

If you have a solid 360 I see no reason to swap it out. If the carb does give you problems then Id look into a new or junkyard tbi swap before swapping motors.

If you run it off road at all go FI you won't be sorry.;)

What type engine do you suggest installing that will fit?

As said before I would keep the 360, and add a tbi from a 350 chevy.
There is good info (links) in the "misc. cj" section under "useful info thought I'd share" by Brock

Last edited:
It's hard to beat a good old carborator for reliability and fix it in your driveway ease. I've run both carb and EFI on jeeps, the EFI will run ok, but unless you plan on carrying a scan tool with you in the woods, if it quits, your stuck. On the other hand a carberated engine can VERY easily be coaxed back into running with only the most basic hand tools.

Maybe it's a generation gap thing, but I still get suprised when I hear "I dont know how to tune a carberator".:)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom