Need suggestions on 1986 cj7 swapping to v8-350

Need suggestions on 1986 cj7 swapping to v8-350

dvandebrake

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1995 Toyota T100 (awesome veh.)

1986 jeep cj7 with in-line 6 cyl. 258 5-speed manual trans.
Hi,

Am thinking of swapping out the old AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l in-line 6 to a chevy v8-350. Is there a lot of problems i'm going to be looking at? Also would like to know if my T-5 Transmission , Transfer Case 300 and differenial can handle the extra power or do I have to upgrade to something stronger? I plan on re-wiring and having mounts added. If their are any good threads already posted would like so links to review.

Thank You,

Duane

Well they do spell these things Just Empty Every Pocket....and thats what your about to do :chug: seriously for a minute great swap it just requires money your tranny will die eventually and if you have the AMC20 rear it will strip out the 2 piece axle shafts...and your axle wind up will be worse with the added power. You will have to get a new V8 radiator,motor mounts tranny adapter and some re wiring of the ignition system re route the fuel lines Have you looked into the AMC V8 as an alternetive? it bolts to the tranny with no adapter you can get a brass rad and factory motor mounts for a lot cheaper than the Chevy V8

I was thinking of doing this, and swapping the whole drivetrain... Here was that thread, some good info from members for me, and maybe you...

http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f2/drivetrain-swap-8773/

Here was a little site info I found while searching for info for it...

1979 Jeep CJ-5 Buildup: AMC to Chevy 350 Conversion

and by doing a quick Google search, I found a lot of info, threads etc... (About 22,200 results) :cool: although as we know more than half of those will be :dung: not usable / worth nothing for info...

swapping a sb 350 into a 86 CJ7 - Google Search

:chug:
~ JR

Duane,
I swapped a 350 in my CJ7 using M.O.R.E. Bomb-proof motor mounts and a bellhousing from the Iron Duke I4 factory installed in CJ's from the early '80's. Depending on your driving habits, the T-5 may or may not work out for you. If the Jeep is somewhat stock and you don't run heavy trails like Duran or Odessa up in Calico with huge tires, the T-5 might last. If you've got 35's and like to wheel hard, you're going to want a heavier tranny. I could go into details but then this post would be very long. I like my CJ with the Vortec V8 and I recommend make sure you have fuel injection for the smog nazzis and driveability both on & off-road.

RangerRick

Simplicity, affordablilty, driveablility, reliablility, serviceablility, hands down, a late 80s to ealy 1990s 350 TBI (Vin K preferably, not a Vin 7), not to be mistaken with CPI (vortec motor). If you have a need for speed, then youd want to get PFI motor, like and LT1 or and LSx. Your expenditures will also sky rocket with a Port Fuel Injected motor, compared to the TBI set up.

You can buy bolt in motor mounts, in frame swap headers, swap radiator, and adapters for any Transmission /Transfer Case you can dream up.

Your T-5 will take it, if you keep almost stock size tires and dont beat on it (no burn outs, or tug of wars with other 4x4s and such) Dana 300 wont know any different, and your 86 is supposed to have a Dana 44 rear axle, so you good to go. If you are close to broke and have no money, go with the T-5 , otherwise, if your going through all this BS, change it out for a NV4500 from a chevy pickup, get one with a granny first gear. That will be one less adapter you need, and you cant screw up that Transmission if you try.

You would want a donor vehicle to grab everything out of, like a wrecked pickup. Thats the cheap and easy way. I just bought a 95 G20 Van with a great running TBI 350 for $160. It has rusty brake lines, and the owner didnt want to fix it. So theres the motor, Transmission , wiring harness, ECM all accessories, for less than it costs to fuel up my Suburban !

Hi all,

Thank you for all the good info. Looks pretty involved putting in a v-8. What about just getting a re-manutactured AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , maybe with the 4.0L head upgrade? Is there any re-build shops in So/Cal area that would have a motor like that?

Thanks All,

Duane

Hi all,

Thank you for all the good info. Looks pretty involved putting in a v-8.

You can put a easier V-8 in... Although, yes you still may have a lot of little things to do... :cool:

What about just getting a re-manutactured AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l , maybe with the 4.0L head upgrade? Is there any re-build shops in So/Cal area that would have a motor like that?

Not too sure about that, but i do know there were a few good threads on this site alone on doing the upgrade... They're pretty detailed...

:chug:
~ JR

i have that exact swap in my 83, it is a very difficult swap. the dana will hold up that Transfer Case is nearly bulletproof. but it is a money pit. huge pit. so if you really do want to do the swap get ready to throw money at it especially if you have no idea what you are doing

i have that exact swap in my 83, it is a very difficult swap. the dana will hold up that Transfer Case is nearly bulletproof. but it is a money pit. huge pit. so if you really do want to do the swap get ready to throw money at it especially if you have no idea what you are doing

Sorry, gonna have to call you out on that one...

Specifically what was difficult about the swap ? Short of the Transmission /Transfer Case mount, its a bolt in affair, if you used the readily available parts for the swap and a paired down oem harness.

Then there is the question of the money pit, what is the re-occurring problem that qualifies it as a money pit ?

Short of a small block chevy with a carb, there cant be a more simple, cost effective and reliable swap...PERIOD. Not my opinion, but overwhelming fact.

So to save us from making this ill move, please document the claim.

Got to agree. Provided you go to a quality supplier for the adapters, mounts, etc., this ones as close to a no brainer as it gets. Advance Adapters has virtually everything you'd need. Just takes time & money, like all such projects.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom