Need to clean out flywheel housing due to bad starter

Need to clean out flywheel housing due to bad starter

Jeepeagle

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5 304, '94 ZJ 5.2L 4x4 , '04 WJ 4.7L 4x4
Strange question. Otherwise i'd just read up where someone else posted the same question, I guess. So, my 78 CJ5 's had many starters changed. At first it was due to bad flywheel, but that's been changed. And for the last few months it's started fine. But recently it's been clunking when i start the jeep. There's no clunk once the jeep's running, only when starting. I took the starter to advance auto and they tested it, found it bad, and gave me a new one. Sadly the new one shreded in my flywheel housing. Literally the gear broke into chunks and is in my flywheel. And it broke a tooth off the flywheel. The store said they'd give me a new starter, but I'm having to get the :dung: out of the flywheel housing.

Is there an easy way to get to it to get the metal out? And an ideas what could've cause it to break in the first place? Is my jeep messed up bad?

Thanks.

It's a T-150 3 speed manual. There is a plate on the front facing the motor that comes off. I've managed to get most of it off, just need to take part of the clutch linkage off to get it all the way off. There's no way any of the broken starter gear ended up in the actual tranny is there? Thanks.

should be able to use a flexible magnet thing to fish all the pieces out of the bellhousing.
And there is no way for them to get into the Transmission , so your good there.

should be able to use a flexible magnet thing to fish all the pieces out of the bellhousing.
And there is no way for them to get into the Transmission , so your good there.
x2 NO way for anything to get in the tranny

you say it broke a tooth on your flywheel.
That has to be replaced. It may start okay most of the time but sometimes you will hear grinding when the starter tries to turn the broken tooth on the flywheel. that bad flywheel gear will wreck the starter gear and you will be back to replacing the starter again.
Replacing the flywheel will entail separating the engine from the Transmission . You could just replace the ring of teeth on the flywheel. This ring of teeth can be separated from the flywheel by heating it with a blowtorch. The heat will allow the gear ring to expand and come off the flywheel.

Correction: you will only need to heat up the replacement ring gear of teeth to install it. To remove the old one just cut it off with a hack saw.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom