New CJ owner with an oil question

New CJ owner with an oil question

RTRCJ7

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 Loredo ,restored, straight 6 , 4 speed
Hello everyone , new cj owner here. Bought an 83 CJ7 with the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l inline six. The CJ is in very good shape with 87k showing on the odo , not sure if its accurate. My question is oil. I cant reach the previous owner so I thought I would ask the experts here. Ive read that a lot here use the Rotella 15- 40 triple protection and change the filter every month for 4 - 6 months after changing to this oil. In your opinion is this a good idea if I dont know whats been run in the CJ before or should I just put the Rotella in and go with it. Thanks in advance

The Rotella is a higher detergent oil, so it will clean sludge out that reg. motor oil won't. So yes you should change the first couple filters sooner than normal. I would watch the color of the oil to tell me when to change them.
I run rotella in mine and in my car with no problems.

Thanks Old Dog , I'll be changing to the Rotella tomorrow. Also I was reading where the Wix filters are prefered when doing this , correct?

Yes I believe wix is one of the better filters, along with napa gold, mobil one, and K&N.

The problem I am having with the Rotella is finding it in qt. bottles. gallon jugs are fine but I need 5 quarts. Not the end of the world just a PITA.:D

i know we sell qts of it at my work.

The problem I am having with the Rotella is finding it in qt. bottles. gallon jugs are fine but I need 5 quarts. Not the end of the world just a PITA.:D

Yeah , same here, just bought two gallons at OReilleys , $11.99 a gallon. The wix filters were a little pricey at $6.99 each , pricey for me anyway:cool:

we have qts at advance auto. we dont have wix but we have k&n and mobil 1 filters that are good.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom