new guy needs a little trany help

new guy needs a little trany help

motoracer1125

Jeeper
Thanks
hi guys joe here im new to the forum and want to start off by saying thanks,, i have a 1979 CJ7 and i think the Transfer Case is shot because the right stick wont move freely its almost like its stuck in 1 spot if i put my foot on it and push it will go in 4wd but pops out once i let off,, i was wondering if its possible to get a Transfer Case out of somthing more modern that will bolt wright in and my Transmission suks beause its a 4 speed and 1st is real low so i was wondering also what it would take to put a 5 speed in it thats a little more modern,, it has an i6 with 456 gears soa lift 4" spings and 38's

hi guys joe here im new to the forum and want to start off by saying thanks,, i have a 1979 CJ7 and i think the Transfer Case is shot because the right stick wont move freely its almost like its stuck in 1 spot if i put my foot on it and push it will go in 4wd but pops out once i let off,, i was wondering if its possible to get a Transfer Case out of somthing more modern that will bolt wright in and my Transmission suks beause its a 4 speed and 1st is real low so i was wondering also what it would take to put a 5 speed in it thats a little more modern,, it has an i6 with 456 gears soa lift 4" spings and 38's

:eek: The Transfer Case is an easy and cheap swap, and you should go with the same unit. As far as the Tranny, I sounds to me like you have the holy grail of all Jeep trannies ever made, the nearly indestructable crawler gear T-18 . Among Jeepers, It's highly regarded, and even more sought after!

:eek: The Transfer Case is an easy and cheap swap, and you should go with the same unit. As far as the Tranny, I sounds to me like you have the holy grail of all Jeep trannies ever made, the nearly indestructable crawler gear T-18 . Among Jeepers, It's highly regarded, and even more sought after!

Hey if the man wants a 5 speed he wants a 5 speed but as far as that 4 speed if its up for sale let me know!!!! or we can make a trade!!

Hmmm. How quick are you looking to swap? I'll have a T-176 4 spd with a Dana 300 to swap. If thatis a T-18 Dana 20 combo I'll trade it. We could also trade driveshafts to complete it. Scranton isnt far from me. If interested pm me. As far as a Jeep 5 spd there isnt one worth putting in a off road Jeep in my opinion.

hmmm maybe im asking too much outa my jeep i just want i to be able to go 65 down the road thats why i thought the 5 speed would be a good idea because of shorter gears...

Theres no reason you shouldnt be able to hit 65 mph with that tranny. Its basically a T-150 3 spd plus the low granny gear. Ive had mine ( T-150 3 spd. , Dana 20 , 4.10s with 33s into the 90mph range. You should probably be running some steeper gears with 38s though.

You can easily hit 65 with a T-18 and a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l smiley756.png

You just don't have to start in first gear.

2nd gear will work quite well for you.

The problem you have with top end comes from the 4.56 axles.
All tyranny’s final drive is 1 to 1 unless it is an over drive.

You have the makings of a serious off road machine but it may be a bit disappointing on the pavement if top end and mileage are important to you.
:grinjeep:

You just don't have to start in first gear.

2nd gear will work quite well for you.

The problem you have with top end comes from the 4.56 axles.
All tyranny’s final drive is 1 to 1 unless it is an over drive.

You have the makings of a serious off road machine but it may be a bit disappointing on the pavement if top end and mileage are important to you.

Because the extremely low 1st gear in the T-18s are not synchronized it is actually very difficult to start in first gear and impossible to downshift to 1st gear. You end up driving it basically like you have a 3 speed.

Like IO said, serious offroad ability. Put her in 4Lo 1st gear, stock, there aren't too many places you can't go scruffy_smiley.png

Because the extremely low 1st gear in the T-18s are not synchronized it is actually very difficult to start in first gear and impossible to downshift to 1st gear. You end up driving it basically like you have a 3 speed.

Like IO said, serious offroad ability. Put her in 4Lo 1st gear, stock, there aren't too many places you can't go scruffy_smiley.png
In fact you can get out and walk along beside it:laugh:.

My wife's rig has a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l / T-18 / Dana 44 's with 3.92 gears.
On 33"'s it'll cruise at 75.

some how I doubt that is what the speedometer is reading ?
Maybe more like 60?
I know 33's take about 15mph off the speedo in the 5.

I told my brother to follow me so we would not go too fast, going over 60 was a bit exciting in a cross wind. When we got to where we were going he asked me why I never went below 70?:eek:

some how I doubt that is what the speedometer is reading ?
Maybe more like 60?
I know 33's take about 15mph off the speedo in the 5.

I told my brother to follow me so we would not go too fast, going over 60 was a bit exciting in a cross wind. When we got to where we were going he asked me why I never went below 70?:eek:

The wife's is 10mph off with 33". about 15 with 35".;)

Just out of curiosity are you moving when your trying to shift, just crawl, rolling should be fine. If your stopped it's hard to shift it into 4wd, I know mine was.

ok Pete, I am a bit late here, but you have a trumac 176? I am looking at that tranny, why do you want to get rid of it? I am about to order one with the conversions I want to it for the CJ6 . Please do tell .

I was only throwing it out there for the Granny geared T-18 . No other reason. The T-176 is a good choice for a Transmission itself , probably only 2nd to the T-18 . You get the bolt right up ability for the Dana 300 as a bonus. Any of the other 80s era trannys arent worth diddley.With the T-176 I think I'll go with a tera low coversion in the Dana 300 and a nice little hand throttle. :cool:
ok Pete, I am a bit late here, but you have a trumac 176? I am looking at that tranny, why do you want to get rid of it? I am about to order one with the conversions I want to it for the CJ6 . Please do tell .

I was only throwing it out there for the Granny geared T-18 . No other reason. The T-176 is a good choice for a Transmission itself , probably only 2nd to the T-18 . You get the bolt right up ability for the Dana 300 as a bonus. Any of the other 80s era trannys arent worth diddley.With the T-176 I think I'll go with a tera low coversion in the Dana 300 and a nice little hand throttle. :cool:
got the pm thanks, I do not need a granny gear as I have a 4 low 231 I will be using, I also an going be popping in a under drive giving me a final reduction of over 9 to 1.
But hey, how much for that 176?

Just out of curiosity are you moving when your trying to shift, just crawl, rolling should be fine. If your stopped it's hard to shift it into 4wd, I know mine was.

this is a very good point. T cases are totaly unsynchronized and have to be finessed into the proper gear, I think this is true for all of them.:cool:
It is very seldom a good idea to kick the shift lever.:laugh:

this is a very good point. T cases are totaly unsynchronized and have to be finessed into the proper gear, I think this is true for all of them.:cool:
It is very seldom a good idea to kick the shift lever.:laugh:

Except for the NP205 & most of the chain drive cases. They are syncro in 4Hi.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom