New Jeep guy, How do you do a basic carb clean?

New Jeep guy, How do you do a basic carb clean?

GOPDiesel

Jeeper
Thanks
I'm new to Jeep and don't know much about carbs. I'm also a weekend mechanic and know just about enought to get in trouble. I just replaced my fuel pump and filter.

My rig won 't stay running during any type of acceleration. It just dies like it has no gas. I've previously posted here and want to take the advice of taking the carb off the engine and cleaning it. It appears easy to take off,4 bolts and some linkage.

What does it mean to clean it. How do I do a basic clean job on it? I've never done one. I have a Weber 2 barrel. It's a 32/36 DGAV. What does the electrical connnection attached to the round piece do?

Thanks for helping out a new guy.

Pat​

I'm new to Jeep and don't know much about carbs. I'm also a weekend mechanic and know just about enought to get in trouble. I just replaced my fuel pump and filter.

My rig won 't stay running during any type of acceleration. It just dies like it has no gas. I've previously posted here and want to take the advice of taking the carb off the engine and cleaning it. It appears easy to take off,4 bolts and some linkage.

What does it mean to clean it. How do I do a basic clean job on it? I've never done one. I have a Weber 2 barrel. It's a 32/36 DGAV. What does the electrical connnection attached to the round piece do?

Thanks for helping out a new guy.

Pat​

The electrical connection is most likely electronic choke and as far as cleaning it i just re built my 1 barrel carter what you could do is go get a gallon can of that chem-dip carb cleaner and let it sit in there, i would personally just rebuild it.

Do you take the carb apart at all, or just unbolt it from the manifold and drop it in the gallon of clean all in one piece?

Weber Rebuild

this looks like a good place to start.:cool:

Well obvisouly rebuilding it is taking it apart and i think most likely your going to have to rebuild because if you dont take apart the carb that chem dip will get into spots you cant get it out of maybe, its just easier to replace all the parts so you know its 100%, from what i hear webers are more pain than performance.

Well obvisouly rebuilding it is taking it apart and i think most likely your going to have to rebuild because if you dont take apart the carb that chem dip will get into spots you cant get it out of maybe, its just easier to replace all the parts so you know its 100%, from what i hear webers are more pain than performance.

Apparently, a rebuild on a Weber is mostly a good cleaning. or at least that is what this site says.:cool:

Apparently, a rebuild on a Weber is mostly a good cleaning. or at least that is what this site says.:cool:

Really, i didnt check the site, probably should have,so tomorrow i should have the tank down on my jeep IO :D finally...so many distractions, another alternative is go grab a few can of carb cleaner, a wire brush, and serperate the major sections and sprayem down and scrub, but while doing it if you decide to just check for build it up. If your going the chem dip route you seperate the major sections and take out all the little pieces and soak them all for about 2 hours and then sprayem down with brake or carb cleaner can stuff then use the air compressor to dry them.

It's alot easier than it sounds to rebuild a carb, don't be afraid. The carb rebuild kits are only approx. $20 and you need the kit specific to your carb. The kit will have a set of directions and basically a schematic of your carb to make sure you put everything back together properly. There is also many informative threads on this site if you do a saerch i'm sure you'll find some detailed and imformative information on rebuilding your carb.
Good Luck,

With my experience rebuilding carbs on motocross bikes, i feel that most of the advice given in this thread is sound advice. Basically, what you are trying to do by rebuilding the carb is to ensure that all moving parts are free to move as they should. Along with a good soak in carb cleaner, an air compressor hose can work wonders. The blasts of air can remove small particulate matter from jets and fuel lines. Also, don't be intimidated with a carb. If you work slow and meticulously you can really get a feel for how it is assembled and disassembled.

In your case it sounds like the carb is either flooding or not receiving enough fuel. It could be as simple a fix as adjusting the float height.

Good Luck

Heya, Pat.

Putting a kit in a carburetor is something you're surely able to do. You needn't buy a gallon of dip, either... and for your first carburetor you probably SHOULDN'T buy one - you may well forget to remove a part that MUSTN'T go in the dip, and then you'll be buying more Weber parts. I find that you can do a really credible job of cleaning with aerosol cans of carburetor cleaner. Not just the outside, of course - I'm talking full disassembly & squirting the cleaner through all the ports & passages in there. It dissolves old gummy gasoline like CRAZY and blows the residue out. Doesn't leave you with a can of expensive dip you won't use again for several years, either.

First, try & adjust the carburetor as best you can and look over the ignition while you're at it. THEN if you decide it's time to do the carb kit...

Get yourself some newspaper or a white sheet (from the local thrift store). Remove the carburetor and dump all the gasoline out of it. Lay it on the newspaper/sheet and start disassembling it. WORK GENTLY - no need to rip a gasket or a diaphragm. You'll see how it came apart, and you'll see how it goes back together. If there's any doubt of your ability, make a photographic essay while you pull it apart - follow the photos in reverse order to put it back together.

Oh, before you do ANY of this... is the gasoline in it old? Also, look at your fuel filter. If it has three hoses connected to it, the one oddball line (that's not in the center of either end) needs to be at the TOP, pointing toward the CARBURETOR. If it's on the side or the bottom, it can make your Jeep run like :dung:.

look at your fuel filter. If it has three hoses connected to it, the one oddball line (that's not in the center of either end) needs to be at the TOP, pointing toward the CARBURETOR. If it's on the side or the bottom, it can make your Jeep run like :dung:.
just out of curiosity why would that make a differance?

just out of curiosity why would that make a differance?

If it is in the wrong place it will starve the carb. all the gas goes down the return line to the tank and it never allows the carb anything but vapor.

That funny-position one is a fuel RETURN line, running surplus gasoline back to the tank. If it's not on top, it returns too much gasoline & the carburetor gets starved. It's a pretty common issue, extremely easy to fix.

If it is in the wrong place it will starve the carb. all the gas goes down the return line to the tank and it never allows the carb anything but vapor.

Dang - you finished writing while I was off doing something else... :) You covered it well.

Dang - you finished writing while I was off doing something else... :) You covered it well.

well darn I am sorry, I thought you fell asleep.:laugh:

so would that cause hesitation under fast acceleration? like say im poking around the field and get on it hard and the jeep hesitates but then recovers. would that be the issue? mine dose that every now and then and i just looked and the fuel line in question is off to the side

It certainly could. Another very likely cause would be the accelerator pump in the carburetor (a replacement comes in the kit) or a leaky vacuum line running from the carburetor to the distributor.

First, before you do anything else, loose all three hose clamps and rotate that fuel filter so the third line is on TOP. Then field-test it & see if you need to go further.

First, before you do anything else, loose all three hose clamps and rotate that fuel filter so the third line is on TOP. Then field-test it & see if you need to go further.

lol i did that as soon as i posted. it helped the hesitation out some but the biggest differance i noticed is it idoles better it purs like a kitten now but it still has slite hesitation. ive been looking at rebuilding the carb for a while now just been looking for a good excuse. so i guess i found one.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom