new to forums, t 86 for sm 420 swap help

new to forums, t 86 for sm 420 swap help
Thanks
im new to this forum. i have a 66 CJ5 , fairly stock i think. 225 Dauntless Buick 225 V6 v6, t 86 aa Transmission , single stick dana 18, 19 spline off set taperd Dana 44 rear, dana 27 up front. looks like maybe a 2 inch lift with shackles.

im haveing problems with this t 86 Transmission it doesnt seem to care what gear oil i use or how much it grinds a little here and there and a whole lot in first and reverse once its warmed up so much i have to pretty much turn it off an put it in those gears.

i would like to put a sm 420. other than bellhousing and adapter for dana 18 what other mods are neccisary for this swap.
and would a t 18 be a easier swap. thanx any help is welcome and appriciated

I actually just sold an sm420 if it were me the first thing I would do is measure the length overall spline to spline, mike the spline shaft size and check the tooth count vs what you are running. I know that those munchies were pretty popular swaps, but most of em I've seen have been with v8 small blocks either amc or GM. If u haven't checked the tranny yet open the side cover inspection plate on the drivers side and spin through the gears for any wear. Once everything is measured bounce it against your current drive train to see IF you need a shorter drive line. The brackets aren't cheap but can be made, we made one for a conversion in my buddies Jeep. Also with the gearing so low in the muncie you may need or want to plan on changing your axle ratios unless yours is just for off-road. Hope this helps

My personal CJ had the T-18 . But I have been apart of some swaps. If it were me id do the T-18 with a stock motor, save the sm420 if u ever decide to do a SBC. There's just less fuss that way.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom