New Tranny, now starter won't engage.

New Tranny, now starter won't engage.

krtwinger

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7, 258CI, T5 Transmission, Dana 300.
I am new to the site and am very impressed that there are as many people out there that love jeeps as much as I do. So I thought I would ask for a little advice. I recently purchased a 1983 CJ7 with a blown T-5 Transmission . I replaced the Transmission with a used T-5 and decided to replace the clutch while I was at it. I put every thing back together and now my starter will not fully engage my flywheel. Same bell housing and same starter. I left the flywheel alone when I did my swap. I am baffled at what the problem could be. Maybe some insight from my fellow jeep lovers might solve the problem. Thanks for the help.

Hello and welcome. Since all of the variables are the same, I would suspect a faulty bendix in your starter.

X2 this is where I would start.

Same starter and same flywheel. Gotta be the starter. Pull it and jump it to a battery. Watch the gear to see if it moves all the way out. If not, suspect the starter & bendix. Been running through some deep mud? May need a cleaning.

Usually not worth fixing, just replace it and eliminate it failing on the trail.

Yep, just replace it to avoid being stranded.

Same starter and same flywheel. Gotta be the starter. Pull it and jump it to a battery. Watch the gear to see if it moves all the way out. If not, suspect the starter & bendix. Been running through some deep mud? May need a cleaning.

Usually not worth fixing, just replace it and eliminate it failing on the trail.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom