new tranny

new tranny

wrangler rider

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
95 wrangler with 88 4.2 carbed with puguetoe(?) 5spd both fresh rebuilds, spring over, 3inch body, spring arched 2 inches and stiffened, 10 inches of total lift on 36inch tsls 8k mile marker winch, ect.
1969 dodge charger rt se 440, 727 torqueflite 3.55 suregrip with 8 3/4 axle, everyone is making her a headache for me but i love her 1000xs more then my jeep
2005 dodge 3500 cummins 6speed dually work truck, not mine
i have a 95 wrangler 4cly 5speed the tranny is all but shot so should i go auto or manuel?
and its not going to stay a stock 4cly for long and the axles might get swapped for beefier one so wha do yall think?
P.S. i can make anything fit, i can make anything work, resale doesnt intrest me, but te lower the price tag the better, thanks!

I wouldn't waste the time changing it out now, if you are going to change the whole drivetrain later. Find the engine, tranny, TC, and axles you want and look at the bad tranny as a good reason to tear into it. Change the whole mess all at once.

I wouldn't waste the time changing it out now, if you are going to change the whole drivetrain later. Find the engine, tranny, TC, and axles you want and look at the bad tranny as a good reason to tear into it. Change the whole mess all at once.

What he said! ^ Collect all your "stuff" and do it once.

sage advice
if you do stuff now you may be paying for adapters you may not need or need changed later
collect your tranny, engine, tcase, get any adapters needed, get new drive shafts of the proper length, and any new mounts that are the correct size, then after making sure all are in good shape, do not leak, and your time is right, replace it then. You will save time and money that way.

I have to agree with all the above. Do it all at once and do it right the first time.:chug:

Sell it and buy a CJ.
With a I-6 or V-8 and your choice of axles.

Last edited:
thanks but noone answerd my question standard or auto??
i cant collect everything my dad flips out on me for collecting parts and im building a 69 charger currently so i can only afford what i need and i need a tranny and a engine but im more worried about the tranny and since i can find them for like 100$ id like to know for when i finnally put a gear through the casing
the agines just blowing smoke and starting to knock so im going to start testing oil additives, know any good ones?

i cant collect everything my dad flips out on me for collecting parts and im building a 69 charger currently so i can only afford what i need and i need a tranny and a engine but im more worried about the tranny and since i can find them for like 100$ id like to know for when i finnally put a gear through the casing
the agines just blowing smoke and starting to knock so im going to start testing oil additives, know any good ones?

I hate to tell you this, but if your engine is knocking and blowing smoke, you're past the point that additives are going to help.

You can try a bottle of no-smoke, and pick up a cheapy stock Transmission someone is swapping out. Some times you can find an engine and Transmission together someone is swapping out of a 4 banger, that would be your best/cheapest option.

Well then. you had better just do a straight up replacemement of what you have, and get ready to do it again later, costing you more $ in the long run. I think your best strategy is to finish one project, then start another when you can afford it. A knocking smoking engine is not worth the cost of a $4 can of engine treatment. It's junk. Ther is simply no time where trying to get by with a low buck temp fix is worth doing, unless It's an emergency fix. It's like putting the $ in a pile and setting it on fire.

Manual for that little 4cyl...
finnally i get an answer!
thanks, whats the down side to autos vs standard?
and the motor pretty much is wrecked so i think a inline 6 if i cant rebuild it cheaply

If I'm not mistaken...The frames are different between a 4 cyl. and a 6 cyl. in the newer years. You might want to reconsider or actually do some research before you spend a lot of money you don't want to. I was told and have read that its easier to sell a 4 cyl TJ and buy one equipped with a 6 cyl. than try and modify yours for the swap.

Disclaimer: as always, I could be wrong. the newer Jeeps don't interest me that much so the info I get on them is relegated to a small and unimportant part of my memory. Like so much else...

finnally i get an answer!
thanks, whats the down side to autos vs standard?
and the motor pretty much is wrecked so i think a inline 6 if i cant rebuild it cheaply

If I'm not mistaken...The frames are different between a 4 cyl. and a 6 cyl. in the newer years. You might want to reconsider or actually do some research before you spend a lot of money you don't want to. I was told and have read that its easier to sell a 4 cyl TJ and buy one equipped with a 6 cyl. than try and modify yours for the swap.

Disclaimer: as always, I could be wrong. the newer Jeeps don't interest me that much so the info I get on them is relegated to a small and unimportant part of my memory. Like so much else...
I cannot tell you the difference between the frames.

I do know that autos will (for the lack of a better term) rob HP due to slippage and suck (excluding lockup converters). A manual Transmission is always a direct transfer of power.

what do you mean explode lock up converters? you mean lockers?
id love to sell it but i cant, i wont go into more detail but i cannot sell it, im seriously not afraid of moddifing the frame or anything, and i want a carburated engine, forget computers, i dont want anythin between the pedal and fuel valve
but if i could sell this thing i would have a deuce and a half in my drive way right now
btw thanks so far everyone

hey i want advice again please, my motors blowin oild bad so i either eed a rebuild or a 6cly the rebuild and bore it out and :dung: will cost like 400 any ideas?? ill wait on the tranny till 1st blows out

hey i want advice again please, my motors blowin oild bad so i either eed a rebuild or a 6cly the rebuild and bore it out and :dung: will cost like 400 any ideas?? ill wait on the tranny till 1st blows out
Huh? Did it do this before?

Did it just start?

If it just started, could be many things and they all require metal rework...

Give us some more info...

Huh? Did it do this before?

Did it just start?

If it just started, could be many things and they all require metal rework...

Give us some more info...

well the tranny? itr is shot metal shavings in the oil, it ran with no oil and it grinds every gear (well wines real bad)
and the angine has blown since i got it but i pushed it too hard in the mud one day so now it smoke up front and out back

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom