no fire please help

no fire please help

DIG

Jeeper
Thanks
alright got it all wired up but im not sure if I have something wired wrong or what, the coil is brand new and the solonoid is brand new but I am not getting any fire to the plugs, I took plug number one out held it to a bolt on the block turned it over no fire....... ummm there is a brown wire the has a plug on it but I am not sure where it goes or if it even has anything to do with my no fire problem......please help me, I am so close lol dang! Oh and btw today was the first time I got to turn this motor over and it was making a rattling noise loud, so yall can get a laugh at me, I was so upset ( thinking there was something wrong with tthe motor) I quit for like 5 hours all to come find out it was the header hitting the inside of the fender :D oopps hehe! ANyway here is some pics 2.png
3.png
mail.png

alright got it all wired up but im not sure if I have something wired wrong or what, the coil is brand new and the solonoid is brand new but I am not getting any fire to the plugs, I took plug number one out held it to a bolt on the block turned it over no fire....... ummm there is a brown wire the has a plug on it but I am not sure where it goes or if it even has anything to do with my no fire problem......please help me, I am so close lol dang! Oh and btw today was the first time I got to turn this motor over and it was making a rattling noise loud, so yall can get a laugh at me, I was so upset ( thinking there was something wrong with tthe motor) I quit for like 5 hours all to come find out it was the header hitting the inside of the fender :D oopps hehe! ANyway here is some pics 2.png
3.png
mail.png
Hey Dude, let's go back to the start. What started your problem?

BTW the brown wire with the rubber connector should be the A/C.

Dig - for a quick test (just to see if everything electrical is working and it is a wiring error.

Run one wire from the + side of the coil to the battery and another from the - side of the coil to the dist. Turn the Jeep over and it should fire up.

Also, do you own a meter? Diagnosing a wiring problem without a meter is next to impossible!

Dig - for a quick test (just to see if everything electrical is working and it is a wiring error.

Run one wire from the + side of the coil to the battery and another from the - side of the coil to the dist. Turn the Jeep over and it should fire up.

Also, do you own a meter? Diagnosing a wiring problem without a meter is next to impossible!

I will try that when I get home today! I do own a meter, last night I was tinkering around and I have twelve volts going to the coil when cranking! where do I hook the negative wire to the distributor???

LONGHORN
There really was no previous problem, I just am trying to get the jeep rewired from when I pulled the motor for rebuild!!!!
:chug:

do you have power coming out of the coil? If you do you might have a bad module or condenser which ever one you have.

do you have power coming out of the coil? If you do you might have a bad module or condenser which ever one you have.

There is a condensor and a module which kind of confused me but anyway, so to see if I have fire coming from the coil, do I just pull the plug wire from the coil going to the distributor and see if it has fire? I know I dont have fire to the plugs because I pulled number one and there is no spark at all! I was thinking maybe the module but didnt wanna drop the 25 bucks if it wasnt the issue.......

I will try that when I get home today! I do own a meter, last night I was tinkering around and I have twelve volts going to the coil when cranking! where do I hook the negative wire to the distributor???

LONGHORN
There really was no previous problem, I just am trying to get the jeep rewired from when I pulled the motor for rebuild!!!!
:chug:

goes like this (very simplified)

battery > ignition switch >ballast resister (if you have one) > + (pos) side of coil.
then:
- (neg) side of coil > distributor wire (if you still have points)

If you take a wire and hook one side to the + battery side, and the other to the + side of the coil, it should fire (when you engage the starter). That would eliminate a lot of troubleshooting because you know what works and what doesn't.

I tested everything and it fired! So I am going to just buy a HEI and do away with the coil and everything....do I also toss the ignition module?

I tested everything and it fired! So I am going to just buy a HEI and do away with the coil and everything....do I also toss the ignition module?
I have seen them wired up with the module, but why I can't say. I personal did not. I tossed it & went straight HEI. My 401V8 runs great without it. I think it's one more thing to break & there is no way to test it.:cool:

Are you saying it started up?? :confused: If so your solonoid is bad or you have it wired wrong.

Longhorn: we must be calling a module something different as it won't run without one. It is built in to the HEI right? I might be getting my chey. and Amc confused.:eek:

Are you saying it started up?? :confused: If so your solonoid is bad or you have it wired wrong.

Longhorn: we must be calling a module something different as it won't run without one. It is built in to the HEI right? I might be getting my chey. and Amc confused.:eek:
I was speaking of the stock Mortorcraft module that came stock on the Jeep & is located on the drivers side inside fender panel.

well maybe this is not it , but im redoing a 79 CJ7 anyways i replaced the volt meter....and many other parts......i go to start and no fire either...after 6 hrs looking for bad wires everwhere...and a new control mod..... ext... it turned out the only power source to fuse box....which ties to everything else......... was the volt meter.....so i put old volt meter back in and damn thing started right up!!!!!!!!! :D

~~~i replaced the volt meter ~~~ it turned out the only power source to fuse box....which ties to everything else......... was the volt meter.....so i put old volt meter back in and damn thing started right up!!!!!!!!! :D
Welcome to the site shawn1979cj7! :chug:

Glad to have you aboard!

You say you replaced the 'VOLT' meter? If the gauge is wired in series to the fuse box and supplying power to it, it is an 'AMP' meter. The two gauges are not hooked up the same. If you replaced an 'AMP' meter with a 'VOLT' meter - then you are correct - that is why your CJ had no power. :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks