noisy front axle

noisy front axle

chilidawg72

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7
Hi everyone and Happy Holidays to all of you. We just got our first decent snow of the year here today so I headed out to take a spin in my CJ7 . Its a 79, all stock driveline,33's. The roads were slick as snot in town so I shifted the Transfer Case into 4H and proceded as usual. This time when I turned a left corner there was a horrible noise from the front axle and I could feel a vibration too. Ive driven this jeep daily for five years or more and this is the first of this. I did put alot of highway miles on it this summer driving back and forth to a class though. I was thinking I might have worn something out. Can anybody tell me what this might be from my lame explanation. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

Hi everyone and Happy Holidays to all of you. We just got our first decent snow of the year here today so I headed out to take a spin in my CJ7 . Its a 79, all stock driveline,33's. The roads were slick as snot in town so I shifted the Transfer Case into 4H and proceded as usual. This time when I turned a left corner there was a horrible noise from the front axle and I could feel a vibration too. Ive driven this jeep daily for five years or more and this is the first of this. I did put alot of highway miles on it this summer driving back and forth to a class though. I was thinking I might have worn something out. Can anybody tell me what this might be from my lame explanation. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you all!

Could be a lot of things.

Wheel bearings, axle joints, spider gears, pinion bearings, carrier bearings,
it could even be brake pads chattering. Only you know whats been serviced & what has not. Is it pulling to one side or the other?
Does it make the noise only in 4X4? Does it make the noise only in a straight line,or when turning? How about the same questions about the vibration?:confused:

x2 on what LongHorn said. Jack the front end and see if you can find anything loose or broken.

Thanks for the reply guys, its only in 4x4, only turning, and only right not left!? Everything looks normal as ever. And it wont do it unless I'm driving it to make it happen.

I would jack up the front end and put on jack stands. I would lock the hubs in and turn the wheels like you are making a right turn. Do this in 2wheel drive or neutral. With the hubs locked the front drive line will spin when you rotate the wheels to see if there is any binding or noise.

Make sure you chock the rear tires.:):)

Sounds good keep us updated on what you find, Pictures would be good to show what you found also.

Have fun You know it is a Jeep thing:D

Totally agree with all the above, especially the U-Joint part. And while your at it check fluid in front differential as well.

if you never had the front diff cover off it may be a good idea to take it off and inspect the spider gears for any pitting, cracks, or just plain missing teeth off one ofthe spiders. i have a simular problem with my tj a couple of yrs ago. then if everything looks good put new fluid in. and at least you are at peach of mind for that.

I've never had the cover off, and it has probably never been off. I did replace the rotors this summer though. The bearings looked good but maybe they were'nt. We dont have a garage and now the snows on the ground, and everything is frozen so I'm going to check everything out as soon as possible. I begining to think it is that bearing, rotor, hub assembly on the right side. I am going to put fresh fluid in the differentials and Transfer Case though.

I've never had the cover off, and it has probably never been off. I did replace the rotors this summer though. The bearings looked good but maybe they were'nt. We dont have a garage and now the snows on the ground, and everything is frozen so I'm going to check everything out as soon as possible. I begining to think it is that bearing, rotor, hub assembly on the right side. I am going to put fresh fluid in the differentials and Transfer Case though.

If that were true, it would most likely do it in 2X4 also.;)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom