Now the Jeep won't start

Now the Jeep won't start

BillyB

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ7 258 T5 Dana300 Dana30 AMC20
Okay - so got everything buttoned up from doing the compression test.

As I was getting plug #1 back in - my wrench hit the back of the alternater and threw a big spark.

So when I turn the key - the solenoid buzzes. I get strong sparks to my distributor. Battery is showing 12V.

But nothing else. The engine doesn't turn.

Could I have fried my starter? I'm in a bind here as my wife's car died a few days ago - and this has become a daily driver...

ugh.

Todd

Last edited:
Try to jump the start relay that I think is on or near the passenger side inner fender. Put the key in the run position when you try this. make sure the Transmission is out of gear and the e brake is on. This relay I have issues with in the past.

Try to jump the start relay that I think is on or near the passenger side inner fender. Put the key in the run position when you try this. make sure the Transmission is out of gear and the e brake is on. This relay I have issues with in the past.
I'll bet 2lostspace is right about your starter solenoid. You may want someone in the drivers seat when you try this. You will need a big wire such as a battery cable to jump this starter solenoid. Even a jumper cable will work. there are 2 big cables on this relay (one to the battery, one to the starter). With the key turned on short them together. Your jeep may start right up. If so that verifies that you need a new starter solenoid.
solenoid.jpg
This picture is a little confusing. The nut on the right holds on a cable that goes to the battery. The label says "to alternator BATT terminal"
I've always called this part a starter solenoid but it's really a hefty relay.

Last edited:
Okay - I have strong spark going INTO the distributor - but no spark at the plugs.

Oh - and for what its worth - I replaced the starter solenoid a little while ago. I was thinking the buzzing it was making was an indication I fried it. I'll try to jump it.

What happens when you turn the key? Does the starter turn the engine over? If your engine isn't turning over you won't be getting a spark. The distributor will distribute the sparks to the plugs at the correct time but only if the engine can turn over.

couple of questions is the engine turning over? Does this have one of the ford style spark control boxes?

Busa post gives more infro on these questions I asked.

Last edited:
When I turn the key - I just get a 'buzzing' from the starter solenoid.

The starter motor doesn't turn at all.

And I guess that makes sense why I'm not getting spark at the plugs....

Are you sure your battery has a good charge? If your battery is bad or is not charged. You may just get a buzzing sound if the battery can't spin the starter and engine.
Try jump starting your jeep with another car.

Are you sure your battery has a good charge? If your battery is bad or is not charged. You may just get a buzzing sound if the battery can't spin the starter and engine.
Try jump starting your jeep with another car.

Its possible I drained it down some while I was doing the compression test. Its showing 12v even. I'll put the charger on it for a while....

Clean the battery cables at both the battery and starter/ground ends. That will at least help.

Man - think you're right - battery low charge. I got a bit of juice in it and the starter at least turned a bit.

Let me get er jumped - I think we're in business.

Learned a few things here today - no spark outa the distributor on low voltage. That pic of the starter solenoid - most helpful.

Thanks all!

Todd

p.s - its on! Running! Battery...I wouldn't have thunk it...

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom