Nutter Timing

Nutter Timing

MDJEEPER

Senior Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 Jeep CJ

Mostly stock, 258 c.i.d., T-176 tranny, Dana 30 front, AMC 20 rear, Dana 300 t-case, 31x10.50 tires, 2 inch body lift
The standard procedure for the Nutter Bypass is to set the timing at 8 degrees. However, I have heard of people advancing the timing to, like 10 or 12 degrees after the Nutter without problems.

So, where are folks running their timing (if not 8 degrees)? And, how did you decide just where to set it?? :confused:

I used to have the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l but I have never tried the Nutter Bypass. I've heard to set your timing to 8 degrees after doing the Nutter. If you advance the timing to 10 or 12 degrees that would help at higher RPM at the sacrifice of lower RPM. But is that what you want? I'd run it at 8 if you are going to bypass your ECM. I'm more worried about low RPM.

I used to have the AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l but I have never tried the Nutter Bypass. I've heard to set your timing to 8 degrees after doing the Nutter. If you advance the timing to 10 or 12 degrees that would help at higher RPM at the sacrifice of lower RPM. But is that what you want? I'd run it at 8 if you are going to bypass your ECM. I'm more worried about low RPM.

I was just wondering if advancing my timing would help any with the problems I am having with running out of HP going uphill at highway speeds.

It's probably an issue other than timing, but now that I have more control over where the timing is set...

No, for highway driving I would set the timing at 8° BTDC.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom