Offroad Carbs

Offroad Carbs

Jeepeagle

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
'78 CJ5 304, '94 ZJ 5.2L 4x4 , '04 WJ 4.7L 4x4
I was recently riding the trails in the North Georgia Mountains, and found my CJ stalling in steep angles, whether leaning forward or to the sides, and wondered if it was just a matter of cleaning the current carb, or upgrading to an offroad carb. I currently have a Holly 4bbl on my 304cui v8. I'm not sure what cfm it is, but probably 650 - 670. Holly and Edelbrock both sell similar sized offroad carbs for similar prices. Any advice? Thanks.

Edelbrock.com - Carburetors & Accessories - Thunder Series AVS® Carburetors
Holley Performance Products 670 CFM Four Barrel Carburetor*0-90670

I was recently riding the trails in the North Georgia Mountains, and found my CJ stalling in steep angles, whether leaning forward or to the sides, and wondered if it was just a matter of cleaning the current carb, or upgrading to an offroad carb. I currently have a Holly 4bbl on my 304cui v8. I'm not sure what cfm it is, but probably 650 - 670. Holly and Edelbrock both sell similar sized offroad carbs for similar prices. Any advice? Thanks.

the people around here have better luck with the mc2100 thatn anything else, except EFI that is

If you do have a 650-670 CFM carb on that AMC 304 , its over-carb'ed. Should have something like a 450-500 CFM on there.
I happen to have a 670 Holley Off-Road carb (specifically designed for off road trucks) on my 360. Works pretty good so far, but I need to tune it for the engine someday.

Yes, there are carbs that are better than others for off-road use. The Holly Truck Avenger is one of the best.
If you don't want to replace your carb there are still a few things you can do to make it run better when running at an angle. The float is the problem when off-roading with a carb. One trick is to set the floats at a lower level than the manufacturer states. This will prevent gas from splashing into the engine and flooding. Most carburetor float bowls hold more gas than you would need off roading. The only disadvantage to lowering the floats is at times when you run full throttle for any period of time (you don't drag race your jeep, do you?). Under these circumstances you may run out of gas in your float bowls and starve the engine of gas.
Another thing you can try is to add spring loaded float valves. Holly, Edlebrock and other carburetor companies sell these spring loaded valves as a kit.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom