Oil dip stick tube

Oil dip stick tube

kal5336

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
84 CJ7, 258 inline 6, T5 Trans, Dana 300
Small oil leak where the tube seats at the block. Is the tube pressed in or is their an o-ring seal of some sort at the base of the tube? Thanks!

On my '79 it was just pressed in. I pulled it and using a small punch I recreated the small dimples that hold it in. Then I used a good thread sealent around the top of where it seats. Then with a soft mallet I lightly tapped it back into the block.
The new dimples help hold it in and the thread sealer at the top prevents leaks and adds extra security in holding it in.

The dipstick tube is a force fit, but is often difficult to remove. It is unlikely oil is leaking from around the tube. More often the tube gets creased and the oil leaks out of a slit at the crease. Eventually it will break off. This is a common problem.

Replacement tubes are available from at least one jeep vendor. Not expensive, either.

If the tube is broken off right where it goes into the pan, you will have to drive it into the pan rather than pull it out.

Good luck!

Anyone know what vendor carries the dipstick tube for the late model CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

Mine did not have a tube from the PO and I have checked everywhere I can with no success.

Thanks!

Rock auto has them for $6.05

OMIX-ADA Part # 1742402 MoreInfo2.png
us.gif ca.gif
getimage.php

$6.05

Put in the freezer overnight and then install it. ;)

Attachments

• us.gif
    us.gif
    367 bytes · Views: 0
Any issue with this since mine is an 84? Rock Auto says this is 76-81 for CJ7 ?

I don't know if there were any changes over the years. I also need the dipstick.

Thanks

Anyone know what vendor carries the dipstick tube for the late model CJ7 AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ?

Mine did not have a tube from the PO and I have checked everywhere I can with no success.

Thanks!

There is a place here in Phoneix called AMC 4x4 Salvage, if I recall they can order. I think it was $70. I think dealer is about $120, but they will discount.

I went ahead and picked up another block, as mine was pretty much toast. But I did pull the tube and dipstick since it was not too hard to take off. If you know someone in Phoenix that can pick up and ship to you, send me a PM and you can have.

I always wondered if a later model 4.0 dipstick and tube would be the correct length on a AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l ? I'm not too crazy about my old AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l dipstick design. It doesn't have any kind of seal, just a stick with a round metal plate that sits on top of the tube. It allows a little blow by to exit and it leaves a slight oil film on the block after a lot of miles. My engine has very little blow by, but it still gets the side of the block between the filter and oil pressure sender port a little oily over time.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom