oil pressure gauge install.

oil pressure gauge install.

simmonsguns

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
zj pos and 1985 cj7 inline 6,stock driveline running 33's and it leaks so it's mostly normal.
Hi all, my stock oil pressure gauge does not function. after spending enough time on this i am going to install a non-electric gauge for reall pressure readings. but, where should i install the fitting on the block? i'm new to this kind of work, i have 25 year old memories of auto shop to help me and lotts of books but i still can't find the answer or picture that helps.if this had a trigger and a barrel i would be set.

If you haven't removed the orig. sender for the orig gauge, do so and install the after market fitting in that threaded hole - the gauge should have come with a few different brass fittings as well as plastic tube for the oil supply, I do recommend tossing the plastic tubing and buying the copper do to the fact that copper will not melt. If you purchase the copper it most likely will not come with farrels, its ok to use the stuff from the kit for the copper line. I hope this helps.

Mark

what he said ^^^ except i'll add that the senders are on the passenger side of the block, if it is a later model it will have 2 senders on the one fitting, one is for the gauge, and one is for the computer controlled carb (i actually think its just a switch but not for sure). you need to remove the larger of the two it'll kinda look like a bell. there isn't really anything on that side of the motor to worry about melting the oil line, its also made of nylon so it really doesn't melt that easy, and it doesn't kink as easy as the copper. my opinion but i'd just go with the nylon.

I have a copper line kit, but I decided to stick with the plastic line for ease of install when I replaced my gauge.

Hi all, my stock oil pressure gauge does not function. after spending enough time on this i am going to install a non-electric gauge for reall pressure readings. but, where should i install the fitting on the block? i'm new to this kind of work, i have 25 year old memories of auto shop to help me and lotts of books but i still can't find the answer or picture that helps.if this had a trigger and a barrel i would be set.

It depend on the year of CJ and its not to the "right" or in your bio info.

The 80 CJs have a pres transducer and a pres switch..
The 70 Cj's only have a pressure tranducer.

The electric switch is Normaly Open and closes with oil pressure. Oil Pres Switch will activate a relay to turn on Electric Choke Heater. It can also be used to turn off electric fuel pump in case of accident it would interrupt a circuite and shut down fuel flow. Users may come up with other devices they want to shunt down it no oil pressure.... even a oil pres alarm.

The Pressure Tranducers and Gauges are not interchangable.... There are deep gauges, thin gauges, and Full Size Gauges and they all have different transducers. I have posted the numbers for the correct transducer to work with the correct gauge...... Its up to you ... show me a pic of your gauge face and the depth of gauge (inch or pic) and I can tell you the right transducer to get...

If you look at my posts I have put it here on this forum 3-4 times already. If you would like to find them... Look at my signage and then will box with see posts/threads

I have posted the transducers OHM readings for no pressure and some pressure settings using a Gauge, regulator, multimeter. Measure the resting impediance of the transducer and that alone may tell you what transducer you have.

I am on the look for a 2" or deep version of the voltage... mine in is rough shape and have not come across a clean one.... Took my oil gauge apart and cleaned and calibrated it a bit...... looks like new. MY volts gauge looks so sun faded it must have spent a few summers outside with top off in prior life...

IF you want the gauge there are a few options. The block mtd is a 1/8" NPT so std brass fitting will work also. I also came up with a simple maifold using std brass parts and will put up pic.

JH also showed me a std grease gun WIP is 1/8" npt on both ends, used for oil service, and can handle high pressure. Use the WIP from block to a alumium manifold block you make... Mount gauge, switch , pres transducer right on the manifold. Can also connect your oil line if still wanted.

There is a good post around web on Trouble Shooting CJ Gauges.... by John Strenk... Search those words and it will show up...He did have a mix up on the gauges with what years and ranges when he copied over or made changes... I think it was updated... but use my transducers numbers if you move forward.

The sellers of the transducers list they cover CJ from early 70s to late 80s and it is not true.

Regards,

Fred

nice to see another gun guy

Last edited:
Here is the maifold I made... JH also show can use a grease gun wip and bring to firewall or fender where a home made alumium manifold can hook up all the stuff you want... Both good ideas. If you have electric choke will need the pres switch

DSCN1430.jpg

I did not use a 60 psi gauge... try to have your oil pres be half way on scale... so a 120 psi would be about right and 100 psi might be bit low if you have high oil press.

Forgot to say that the sender you need to remove is above and forward of the starter. A standard 2" gauge will fit in the factory hole. I put the black sunpro gauges in mine, voltage, water temp, and oil pressure. Autometer makes a nice set that look nearly identical to the factory ones, but expect to fork out some $$$.

DROOOID 2

This is more than i was expecting and now i don't have any other questions. thank you all for helping me with this, tomorrow should be warm enough i will start the work. my cj is an 85, i will add this to the info bar i had a brain fart when i was filling it out. were going to have a car repair get-together tomorrow to fix the wifes mazda so this will give me something better to do. i will keep you posted on how much i screw it up or get it finished, hope for the best but prepare for the worse. thank you all again.I will repair guns for donuts or jeep repair.

Well it started out good then it got too cold for my old bones and today it snowed, crapy kansas weather that it is friday looks like it will be good enough to get at it yet one more time, i did get the temp. gauge with the thermocouple installed and concrete has not softened up one bit. thank you all for the help again.

You can buy the copper line and correct fittings at any hardware store usually for less than buying the kit. Anyone who's ever had a plastic line break, dumping huge amounts of oil, sometimes under the dash, will never go back to plastic! :eek:

If using copper line, be sure to put a couple coils into it like making a short copper spring so it'll flex easily when the motor mounts flex.

I just wish 80 PSI mechanical oil gauges were more common. Most you'll find are 100 PSI. 15 PSI at Idle when the engine is hot makes a 100 PSI gauge look like you have no oil pressure. 30 PSI with a hot engine at cruising speeds only read 1/3 of the way up the gauge. Very few engines make 100 PSI of oil pressure, so I can't figure out why most gauges go that high?????

I got it all done and it actually works, thank you for the help. now it's time for the wireing issues. have a great week.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom