Oil pressure high and leaking

CJLaredo83

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7 Laredo.

4.2L 258 with Offenhauser intake and Holley 4BBL

Purchased it as you see it, wanted all stock but saw this one and grabbed it.

All new paint, Rhino Liner all inside won't ever rust.

Repairing little things, speedometer, switches, gauges, etc.

Put a new exhaust on it as well.
My oil pressure is 10-15lbs higher than normal and oil is definately coming out of the valve cover gasket, tightened the gasket but its still leaking.

Usually reads a little under 20 to around 40, now it reads 40 and above while crusing.

I have the fiberglass "Jeep" valve cover gasket and a cork gasket.

Thought about changing the sending unit.

Any help is appreciated!

the sending unit is a good place to start, although most of the time that they read wrong they read low or none, not higher. when is the last time you changed the oil and filter? 40 lbs of oil pressure is good oil pressure, you can run 80 and it shouldn't hurt it, weird that it went up all of a sudden.

is it reading that high when the engine is warmed up. a cold engine will read higher cause the oil is thicker till the engine warms up and the oil thins out. i would find a metal valve cover for it to.

I think this is more coincidental then anything else...
Valve covers are notorious for leaking, and you really aren't running that high of an oil pressure.

If your PCV valve is working correctly, you wont have a pressure buildup at the topend. Even if the PCV isnt working, the CCV will vent gasses into your air cleaner to relieve topend pressure. This is backwards, and counterproductive to the whole purpose of the PCV, so it's always good to check them just to make sure they function as designed.

Again though, I dont really think you have a problem related to the leaking oil.

he said he had an oil pressure increase above what it normally runs. your right though he has two separate issues, the valve cover leaking is probably coincidental.

Agreed, and it's worth looking into to see what caused the oil pressure increase. :chug:

Ok, so what do we have that will increase oil pressure unexpectedly?

Typically, component wear such as bearings will decrease pressure. A plugged passage maybe?

Are you using a mechanical gauge? We need to determine that it is not the sender or gauge. Im suspecting it is.

Thanks everyone, those were my thoughts. My 1980 CJ ran under 20 all the time my current one was until a week ago, could be that its been 20 deg and the engine is running cold. Changed the oil and filter 500 miles and a month ago.

Agreed I need a metal valve cover and a new gasket and to install a new sending unit, change the filter out, etc etc. gotta love CJ's

Tally ho, cheers, and thanks for all your help my good chaps!!! Fish and chips for everyone! :chug::D

why yes my good man of course!

I think I figured out the problem, my Jeep has a Holley 4BBL so only one line is run to the PCV valve and the other end is open towards the radiator. I put a breather on it but it clogged up with oil, therefore, too much pressure in the valve cover. Since it warmed up my oil pressure went down to normal as well and it stopped leaking.

I need to find a good breather for the front valve cover opening.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom