Oil pressure light switch-how to wire?

Oil pressure light switch-how to wire?

Chriss

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ7, AMC 360, T176, DANA 300, Axles Stock with true trac, 33" Cooper STT tires, 4" lift by Trailmaster
1999 JEEP Grand Cherokee 4,7 stock. Family car
Hello everybody,

I´m on a 360 swap and have a question about the oil pressure unit and the oil pressure light switch. Both parts are near the oil filter.
The oil pressure unit is clear to wire, but what is with the light switch?
I´m not shure how to wire.
Could someone help me?

What year engine and CJ are you working with?

I've looked thru 12 different wiring diagrams and they all show 1 single purple wire coming to the oil pressure light switch. Since I see you have a 3 wire connection, let me make a few deductions. (This is all just a guess to get you started!)

This should be a simple 2 contact pressure switch.
One of the contacts will be open (Normally Open) when the oil pressure is good.
One of the contacts will be closed (Normally Closed) when the oil pressure is good.
one will be a wire from the light (on the ground side, power to the light, this controls the ground)

your job is to find what contacts do what. Take you multi-meter and Ohm thru the contacts with the engine off. Do every possible combination and write down what you see. Then start the engine and Ohm them again. Did any of them change?
Find your purple wire (I'm assuming here again, every diagram I saw had a purple wire here) and connect it to the one that DIDN'T change. Then temporarily ground one of the other contacts. Did the light come on? If not, swap it to the other contact. Now did the light come on?

If it ever comes on, start the engine and see if it goes out. If it does, then wire the ground up correctly and call it a day. If not, then you have more work to do!
Hope that helps ya!

Oh, I don`t know about the jear of the engine. There are one number and one letter between the cylinderheads on the back of the block: 9 H or 6 H. I think it can tell me the jear of the engine?
The engine had 2 air intake hedders so I think the engine is not too old

O.k. the violet cable is for the oil pressure gauge on the dashboard. That was no problem. I have a good circuit diagram.
Only the switch with his 3 connectors could not to be found.
Somebody told me, that it came from the carb. Like a safety valve, which stops the fuel inlet if oil pressure is too low.
What do ya think about this idea?

Best regards and happy JEEPING

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom