Misc OLDER BUILD MAYHEM

Misc OLDER BUILD MAYHEM

ParsonMac

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ7 with a 1993 4.0 Inline 6; T5 transmission; Dana 300 transfer case (4:1); Dana 44's with ARB lockers
Pulling my hair out:
1984 CJ7 .
1993 Fuel injected 4.0.
1987 Jeep Cherokee/Waggy Dana 44 rear axle.
Older custom axle shafts (unknown manufacturer).
‘86-‘90 Lincoln Mark VII rear calipers.
Ford 9” rotors (older disc brake conversion).
Dr. Frankenstein is dead so he’s not available for clarification.

Calipers sent out for rebuild. Found out the left caliper built-in ebrake has right ebrake internals so works the opposite of what it was intended.
New custom axle shafts ordered.
The only bright spot is I stumbled onto a web sight that had the unicorn rotors available.

The world’s most convoluted brake job. Began with a squealing brake tab that lead to a seized caliper that lead to a leaking axle seal that lead to a twisted shaft. Countless hours on the Interwebs, Google, Facebook groups, Jeep forums chasing parts and my tail. I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I’m praying it’s not a train . . . Attached are pictures of the axle flange and stamping. Anyone have an idea who made them? Thanks.

IMG_5602.jpeg

PMac,

Which Florence are you from? Not in Colorado, is it?

I'd bet those are OEM axles from Dana.

Here's a pic of one of mine with similar markings (from early '70s Scout II Dana 44 )...
D44 axle flange end.jpg

D44 axle flange end.jpg

Yes, Florence Colorado. Thanks for the pics. My research indicates these axles to be from an 87 Cherokee but the axles are in an 84 CJ.

PMac,

Which Florence are you from? Not in Colorado, is it?

I'd bet those are OEM axles from Dana.

Here's a pic of one of mine with similar markings (from early '70s Scout II Dana 44 )...
View attachment 102178

View attachment 102177
Yep, Florence Colorado. I'm beginning to doubt the origins of my rear axle in my '84 CJ. Earlier research indicated 87 Cherokee but the axle lengths do not correspond to that so I went the route of custom axles. Your pics and comment leads me to believe otherwise. The shafts however do not correspond to anything lengthwise that Dana had in any stock figuration for the time (at least from the research I've done). They're currently L-25.5" and R-29". Closest I've found is the 86 CJ Dana 44 with L-25.25" and L-28-3/4". Scratching my head here.

Yep, Florence Colorado. I'm beginning to doubt the origins of my rear axle in my '84 CJ. Earlier research indicated 87 Cherokee but the axle lengths do not correspond to that so I went the route of custom axles. Your pics and comment leads me to believe otherwise. The shafts however do not correspond to anything lengthwise that Dana had in any stock figuration for the time (at least from the research I've done). They're currently L-25.5" and R-29". Closest I've found is the 86 CJ Dana 44 with L-25.25" and L-28-3/4". Scratching my head here.
That's only 250 thousands difference. Manufacturing tolerances?

That's only 250 thousands difference. Manufacturing tolerances?
I would buy that if they were on the same side. The fact that they’re flipped is weird.

PMac,

Ha! I'm originally from Canon City, so just up river from you. If you need any parts, just let me know and you can look through our bone yard there in Canon. Several decades worth of parts there.

Regarding your rear end, you just may have a late year '86 rear Dana 44 wide track. It should measure around 54.5" between w.m.s., which is the sum of your left and right shafts, plus the thicknesses of the drums/rotor hats, plus a gap between the shaft ends. The Wagoneer is probably wider than that '86 widetrack CJ7 - I'd say it's around 59" or so. We have a couple Wagoneers in the bone yard that you could measure too. Also, one or two Scout II rear D44s as well.

I would buy that if they were on the same side. The fact that they’re flipped is weird.
I mean if the length was proportional, but one side is shorter and the other longer.

PMac,

Ha! I'm originally from Canon City, so just up river from you. If you need any parts, just let me know and you can look through our bone yard there in Canon. Several decades worth of parts there.

Regarding your rear end, you just may have a late year '86 rear Dana 44 wide track. It should measure around 54.5" between w.m.s., which is the sum of your left and right shafts, plus the thicknesses of the drums/rotor hats. The Wagoneer is probably wider than that '86 widetrack CJ7 - I'd say it's around 59" or so. We have a couple Wagoneers in the bone yard that you could measure too. Also, one or two Scout II rear D44s as well.
Nice! And thanks for the offer. If I get around to that I’ll hit you up. The front axle I believe is a cut down Chevy, go figure. I’ve been enjoying your posts on the ‘86. Looks great.

You bet. Let me know if you need any parts.
A quick measurement between w.m.s. will reveal a lot about that rear. It’s a 5 lug too?

You bet. Let me know if you need any parts.
A quick measurement between w.m.s. will reveal a lot about that rear. It’s a 5 lug too?
Yes. It’s 5 x 5.5.

I believe that full-size Wagoneers, from '73+/- to '90 +/-, were 6 x 5.5.
If it's from a '87 Cherokee, they were 5 x 4.5.

I believe that full-size Wagoneers, from '73+/- to '90 +/-, were 6 x 5.5.
If it's from a '87 Cherokee, they were 5 x 4.5.
That's why I initially went with custom shafts but everything housing-wise is pointing to early CJ or the '86 Dana 44 . Attached is a pic of the partial, barely readable BOM# with a 9X suffix which is typically early CJ5 , mid 70's Wagoner/Cherokee or 86-82 Grand Wagoneer. The axle pilot is also 4.155 which screams early CJ/Wagoneer.

IMG_5594.jpeg

The guys you bought the new shafts from - they'd be a good source too for I.D.ing that rear end. Whether it's Moser, Currie, Dutchman, etc. you should be able to call em and ask what the specifics are for their replacement shafts for the '86 CJ Dana 44 rear and compare that to what you purchased.

I remember researching about the '86 Dana 44 rear in the CJ7 , because I thought my '86 should have had one, but it did not. I read that only in the last half of that year did AMC use the Dana 44 because they ran out of the Model 20s. AMC had to scramble a bit to keep production of the CJ7 going, so they sourced other Dana 44s. That might explain the BOM# being a bit misleading/not quite right.

I'd bet money you have a late '86 CJ7 Dana 44 rear there, minus the fun disc brake parts.

I think you’re spot on. When I get around to measuring I’ll let you know what I find.

I've stumbled onto another problem. Received new axles, pressed on the bearings bolted up the brake conversion hardware and went to put on the rotors to bolt on the calipers and rotor backspace was a 1/4" to deep! I ordered a set from Speedway with the correct register size (4.16) and diameter (11.5) but the backspace was a 1/4" to deep! Ugh! I've got NAPA trying to source a pair.

• Thanks for the Post!
Reactions: CJ
Ugg is right, and about par for working on a Jeep with a sketchy past.
You’ll get through it though, and you’ll know every nut and bolt holding it together.

Success! My local NAPA store located a rotor with equivalent hat depth and bolt pattern. A local machine shop will machine the register and diameter to spec. These new rotors will outlive me! Whew. So happy to be out of this rabbit hole.

I remember researching about the '86 Dana 44 rear in the CJ7 , because I thought my '86 should have had one, but it did not. I read that only in the last half of that year did AMC use the Dana 44 because they ran out of the Model 20s. AMC had to scramble a bit to keep production of the CJ7 going, so they sourced other Dana 44s. That might explain the BOM# being a bit misleading/not quite right.
That is right. I have what they called a Mid-Year 1986 CJ7 (late 1986) with the Dana 44 axle and rear drum brakes. The Mid-Year came with a Dana 44 rear axle, Dana 30 front axle, Dana 300 Transfer Case , and a Borg Warner T-5 Transmission .

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom