one piece rear axles?

one piece rear axles?

cjnewbie

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj7 360 3 speed
in my recent search for a waterpump pully i just traded for a complete cj the tub is basicly junk but it is very complete and with it the guy has another set of diferentials and he says the rear one has the one piece axles what is the diffrence ? and is it something that is worth changeing out ?

in my recent search for a waterpump pully i just traded for a complete cj the tub is basicly junk but it is very complete and with it the guy has another set of diferentials and he says the rear one has the one piece axles what is the diffrence ? and is it something that is worth changeing out ?

The one piece axles are the upgrade over the POS stock two piece axles.;)

how would i look at them and tell if the have been converted ? the axles on my cj are flat in the center of my rear wheel but these have what almost looks like a trailor bearing cap in the center what am i looking at any idea sory so vaugh

how would i look at them and tell if the have been converted ? the axles on my cj are flat in the center of my rear wheel but these have what almost looks like a trailor bearing cap in the center what am i looking at any idea sory so vaugh

The flat ones are the preffered one piece axles.
The ones with the cap in the center is the POS two piece axle setup, the cap is covering a castle nut & cotter pin setup.;)

thats what i assumed but the rearend that he said had the one piece axles has the center cap so that means it still has the stock crappy axles right?

somebody could have left the crappy caps on and replaced the axle shafts the best way to know is to look at the axle itself if it has a big nut on the end its the POS two peice

thats what i assumed but the rearend that he said had the one piece axles has the center cap so that means it still has the stock crappy axles right?

Rodger that, over.:(

so due tell, what did you trade for this fine collecvtion of usable parts? What else is in the drive train?:cool: besides the AMC axle you got a Dana 30 front axle? engine transmision, heater ? what year?:D

I can see why the question keepsbeing asked about the dust cap and the crappy ones.
Most people do not know what 1 piece axles are, and think 2 piece means in the shafts.
So I will explain,
in one piece axles the hub and the axles are one piece, either pressed on or a solid piece. in other axles the shaft and the hub are 2 pieces, held together with thrust washers and a nut. the problem is they are either splined or have a shear pin or some thing like that . they can shar the pin and then you have a free turning axle not engaging the hub, and that is common if abused. If the unit is one piece you have to physically break an axle shaft to get the same turning.
Fly in the ointment is full floating axles which can look similar to 2 piece set up but are actually preferable above 1 piece because of strength issues of the inner shaft.

So If you see a dust cap, simply pop it off, and if it has a nut and you see a pin in there, then it is a 2 piece axle, if it is flat and has no dust cap then it is a flanged axle, and if it has 6 bolts, or looks like a big dust cap, it could be a full floater.

hope that helps.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom