Opinions on air filter

Opinions on air filter

Shazam

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5 Renegade with '74 304 V8 & Edelbrock manifold & carb, Heddman headers & sidepipes, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30, AMC 20
Hi guys. I have a rebuilt 1974 AMC 304 with a 3x14 paper filter. It runs great and all is well - but I was thinking of doing something different. It is a road rig and gets maybe 1500 miles per year in nice weather.

1 - considering a 3x14 oiled Spectre for more airflow (I can't see 50.00 for a K&N as little as I drive it). This might give me better mpg and a horse or two.

2 - upping to a 4x14 paper filter. This is even cheaper and might give me a tad more air with the extra inch and look a little cooler.

Any thoughts or experiences are appreciated. Thanks.

Well i'm running a 6 x 14 if i remember correctly... As far as what it'll change, i don't think it'll be all that much...

When i'm due for a change i usually take what is in stock, either a 3, 4, 5 or 6 inch tall by 14 round unit.

Never saw a difference or anything.

Plus, an open air, round filter looks cool!!! The higher the better!!! :D

I'd stick with the paper, they trap more dirt.

i have a spectre. i got it cause i can clean it just like a k&n but it was only $20. i had a k&n on my monte carlo ss and the spectre sounds like it is sucking just as much air in.

Plus, an open air, round filter looks cool!!! The higher the better!!! :D

Open filters are fine if there isn't any water or mud. Then they aren't so cool. You end up taking them off after they are soaked and that's really NOT cool.

I am thinking of fabbing something with fresh air ducts. Drag the air in from the holes on the top corners by the radiator. It should have as big a filter as can be put under the hood and a real filter for the crank case intake. If opening the breather gives you better performance, I would think the thing to do is build a better breather. I think the idea of a weather resistant intake is, basically, a good idea.
I have seen two guys suck water and hole pistons, it's not a pretty thing.:cool:

Ilike IOs idea of sucking air from around the radiator its the only one that might make a horse or two, it will suck cooler denser air from outside the jeep since you already have an open filter which does look cool I personally dont think you will gain much horse power by swapping filter heights the spectra would look good and you wont have to replace it like a paper one :chug:

Open filters are fine if there isn't any water or mud. Then they aren't so cool. You end up taking them off after they are soaked and that's really NOT cool.

Try washing a KN filter or any washable one packed with mud then explain me why you paid double if not triple the price than a standard round paper filter. Since you're not going to wash it but replace it anyway!

To each is own i guess.

As for your idea IO, yes it could be good, but for the gains, not so sure what you'll get out of all this in the end. But...

Usually when people start making weather resistant air intake, it usually flows a bit less air than on open element type. Keep that in mind, the secret is airflow in an engine... Keep it up...

For all of us who run our jeeps in dirty conditions, here's a good filter review..Air Filtration Test

that was good Dog, thanks.
as I suspected, the most area for improvement is the hat box.
I would think that the more surface area was available the longer the filter would work.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom