Overdrive?

Overdrive?

WolfSpring

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
59 Willys CJ5 302 V8 C4 Transmision Automatic with Warn overdrive D44 Rear D25 Front Saginaw Steering 32s with a lift
I have an automatic Transmission with a shifter for Overdrive . I'm not exactly sure how this works and I don't want to just be driving along and shift it to try it out. Could someone explain to me the proper way to shift into Overdrive ?

you have a Warn Overdrive correct? ok I am not so sure how it works with an auto as when it was developed Jeep only put sticks in the jeep
but it is a 25% Overdrive
in a stick you put in the clutch and push the Overdrive stick all the way forward to go into Overdrive .
now remember. this is a planetary Overdrive set of gears. so you can use it no mater what gear you are in.
Let me explain
the unit is in the PTO pot of the T case. what it does is when the shift is in the Overdrive position, it uses the planetary gears to up the ratio of the gearing inside the t case.
As you can see if you are in 1st you can start out 25% higher.
I usually run my 70 CJ6 that has the OD unit in it in OD unless I need the extra power of the lower gearing of having the OD stick pulled back to the driver.
Now, I have read that if you have an auto that you can shift on the fly however knowing the cost of new gears for the OD unit I would do the shifting before I was moving as it could cost a bit to experiment.
That unit basically turns a 3 speed into a 6 speed as every gear gets a 25% boost upward.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom