Overfilling a manual transmission-

Overfilling a manual transmission-

Buuushman

Senior Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
77' CJ-5, 360 c.i. motor, T-176 trans, D-300 transfer case w\ twin sticks, Dana 30 front, A.M.C. 20 rear w/ 4.10's, solid axles & trac-lok, 2.5" lift Y.J. springs.
I just swapped in a T-176 4 spd. and it, like many other 176's whines in 1st through 3rd gear. I know that means the mainshaft bearings have too much play, causing the gears to whine, and should be eventually replaced, but many posts I have read say they have had whiny trannies for years with no issues. Mine shifts great, feels tight, and drives fine. My question is, would pulling the shifter out and pouring another bottle of 80-90 in it hurt anything, and possibly quiet it down? The noise is downright annoying and detracts from the pure sound of my 360 through 2-1/2" duals- my favorite radio station.

Thanks fellas,

Bush

I would try a bottle of Lucas oil treatment.that stuff seems to do wonders.

mainshaft bearings have too much play, causing the gears to whine, and should be eventually replaced, but many posts I have read say they have had whiny trannies for years with no issues.
I agree the tranny needs a rebuild (or at least the bearings)
I also agree you may be able to drive it for years with that noise. The T-176 is a very good tranny but I know the noise can be annoying.

the pure sound of my 360 through 2-1/2" duals- my favorite radio station.
Cool. You have stereo! Me too. I love the sound of a V8 with dual exhaust. Who needs a radio. I used to have music playing all the time. Not any more. When I drive my jeep I don't want a radio to even try to overpower my exhaust sound. My jeep is loud enough and it's not just the engine. The wind and all kinds of other noises.

You can only fill it so full and you will start working around the front seal.
Is it full now? you know, until it runs out the fill hole??:cool:

YOU V8 guy's make me want to puke! :laugh::laugh::laugh: VROOM VROOM.

just one more way of calling attention to them selves.:rolleyes:
overcompensating for something?:laugh:

YOU V8 guy's make me want to puke! :laugh::laugh::laugh: VROOM VROOM.

Ha Ha- me likey big noise! Just not from the Transmission . I guess I was figuring if I got more gear oil on the main shaft it may quiet it down some- but the lucas oil might be the ticket- I've played with the display at the auto parts store enough to see that it adheres to the gears pretty well. The Transmission is full, maybe a little over, I filled it from the top after installing it and put the plug in when it started running out, but had 1/2 bottle left and shot it in anyhow. Do you think I should drain some if I put the lucas in?

Oh ya, I have a Wal-Mart radio in the dash that fried the first time it rained so I pulled the speakers out- couldn't hear it anyhow setting so many car alarms off cruising down the street.:D

Many Mahalos,

Bush

overcompensating for something?:laugh:
Yes, You know the saying "There's no substitute for cubic inches"

Hey. Wait a minute.
We are talking about cubic inches aren't we?

"No replacement for displacement." would make a better tattoo.:D

Yes, You know the saying "There's no substitute for cubic inches"

Hey. Wait a minute.
We are talking about cubic inches aren't we?

Just curious, what was the outcome of this issue? I have the same loud whining sound at 3rd gear (only 3 gears) when driving 35-40ish (top speed). Shifts fine otherwise. Just real noisy and seems to have just started making the noise. I know I have throwout bearing issue too - that is a separate noise.

Thanks,

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom