Parts OTW

Parts OTW

HumboldtCJ

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7 Renegade, 4.2L Straight Six, mostly stock.
So the Jeep is home and after giving it a good once over, I've started the process for fixing her up. I ordered a new exhaust manifold, intake and exhaust gasket set, and an oil pan gasket. That's all she needs to be running solid. Then I'll start tackling the other issues. Any suggestions or experience anyone wants to share?

-HCJ

True. But I have a couple immediate concerns like the exhaust manifold (causes it to run REALLY rough) and some other leaks that need attention ASAP. Plus, I'm in the service and money is always tight. So I'm doing what I can afford to at least getting it running strong and to stop dripping stains into my driveway =)

True. But I have a couple immediate concerns like the exhaust manifold (causes it to run REALLY rough) and some other leaks that need attention ASAP. Plus, I'm in the service and money is always tight. So I'm doing what I can afford to at least getting it running strong and to stop dripping stains into my driveway =)

I replaced my intake/exhaust manifolds a couple winters ago. I've got a 78 though, so my manifolds are a little different, but the idea is still the same.

1. Be careful with the power steering pump and bracket, it's kind of a PITA.
2. Soak everything in PB Blaster/WD40/ some kind of penetrating oil at least a day in advance. The last thing you want to do is to snap off an exhaust manifold bolt in the head.
3. Take your time with the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, they're also a PITA to get lined up correctly and to keep in place while you get the manifolds back on.

Here's a couple pics from mine

dsc_0021.jpg

dsc_0030.jpg

What branch of the service are you in?

I'm in the USCG. Stationed in NorCal.

My father is here visiting and said the exact same thing about breaking off a bolt in the head. Very bad mojo. Thanks for the tips on soaking everything a day in advance. Also good info.

New question: Which carb are you running? I'm having some idle issues and my father thinks it's because of the electronic idle control on the back of the carb. Thoughts?

-HCJ

I replaced my intake/exhaust manifolds a couple winters ago. I've got a 78 though, so my manifolds are a little different, but the idea is still the same.

1. Be careful with the power steering pump and bracket, it's kind of a PITA.
2. Soak everything in PB Blaster/WD40/ some kind of penetrating oil at least a day in advance. The last thing you want to do is to snap off an exhaust manifold bolt in the head.
3. Take your time with the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets, they're also a PITA to get lined up correctly and to keep in place while you get the manifolds back on.

Here's a couple pics from mine

dsc_0021.jpg

dsc_0030.jpg

What branch of the service are you in?

Elwood did you use both gaskets in the kit for manifolds and in what order.Thanx in advance.Sorry about hijacking your thread.
Mike

Man while you got it taken apart that much, You might want to consider the 4.0 head. Even if you retain the carb the 4.0 head will give you alot of benefit performance wise.

I would advise upgrading to the weber 34/34 deg. carb. It'll run you bout 300 but the conversion is simple other than the linkage but ill upload a pick of how to do that. Also they say that the webers are comparable to aftermarket fuel injection and sometimes even better.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom