popping out of 4 lo

popping out of 4 lo

dalefan88

Crazy Sr. Respected Jeeper
Media
Resources
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 cj5 258, t150, dana 20 transfer case, dana 30 front, 20 rear,warn hubs,2.5" procomp lift,teamrush,msd box,mc2100 carb,hedman header,clifford intake,optima battery, ford shock towers.
my jeep has been popping out of 4 lo ever since i had it. does anyone have pics or a link on how to adjust it. im not sure how to adjust it.

my jeep has been popping out of 4 lo ever since i had it. does anyone have pics or a link on how to adjust it. im not sure how to adjust it.

Do you have a body lift or a T case drop?

Reason I ask as it was my problem with 4L. Does the boot seam to limit the lever travel at all? My boot wanted to return the lever back towards center.

Reason I ask as it was my problem with 4L. Does the boot seam to limit the lever travel at all? My boot wanted to return the lever back towards center.

boot seems fine and the boot is all tore up.

I don't know anything about a Dana 20 , but there is no adjustment on a Dana 300 .
Most of the time either the shifter is hitting the boot or the body making it pop out, sometimes there is a bunch of crud built up on the shift linkage and not letting it go into gear all the way. If I were you I'd get under the jeep and try cleaning the linkage and rails to see if it helps.
You could also let someone shift it while your under there and watch it to see if the linkage is working right.

just to clarify: when in 4 low the TC jumps out of low or the tranny jumps out of 4th??:cool:

Worn low gear?

Mine does it to, under load and going uphill usually

Worn low gear?

Mine does it to, under load and going uphill usually

i wondered that to. but my inlaws have had the jeep since 1980. it never was put in four wheel drive when they had it and it only has 84,000 on it.

No adjustment. Could be just be the linkage is just worn out, not allowing it to go all the in to 4L. Like Old Dog said, make sure it isn't hitting the body because of worn body mounts.

Twin sticking it will only make it worst. Could be worn or broken detent springs on the shift rails.

No adjustment. Could be just be the linkage is just worn out, not allowing it to go all the in to 4L. Like Old Dog said, make sure it isn't hitting the body because of worn body mounts.

Twin sticking it will only make it worst. Could be worn or broken detent springs on the shift rails.

i know my body mounts are shot. now i think of it, im missing my drivers rear one and the body is like swiss cheese so that could be it. i have a 4 day weekend this weekend so ill check it out.

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom