Power Brake upgrade question

Power Brake upgrade question

RMB

Jeeper
Thanks
Has anyone ever upgraded thier brake system to a power brakes? I have a 79 CJ5 with front dics and rear drums, non-power. Any tips as to upgrading to power brakes?

Thanks!
R-

Has anyone ever upgraded thier brake system to a power brakes? I have a 79 CJ5 with front dics and rear drums, non-power. Any tips as to upgrading to power brakes?

Thanks!
R-

Well I'm just about ready to do this upgrade to my CJ, since I haven't actually completed it just yet I can only tell what I have learned by asking questions.. like you. Actually it should be one of the easiest upgrades to do and you will reap the benefits of much better brakes :D Close to a direct swap bolt in deal. The way I'm going is to use the power booster and master cylinder from a YJ,single or duel diaphram booster will work. I hear that a duel booster might have clearence issues with the carb if you have a 6cyl. The brake lines are on the opposite side of the YJ master cyl so you can bend yours to fit, you will need to get line adapters for you brake line to fit the master cyl as well. ($1)

The rod that goes from the brake pedal and the master cyl will be a little too short, you can either lenghten the one you have or buy an adjustable one from the net. From what I hear use the YJ proporationing valve. I have found on the net that either one will work so I guess we will see. Not sure if your master cyl has 2 or 4 bolts mounted to the firewall but the YJ has 4, so you might have to drill a couple of holes. Oh ya you will need the YJ mounting bracket for the master cyl to firewall. Thats really about it. Should take maybe 2 hours from start to finish, bleeding the MC, brakes and all. I plan on doing mine sometime in April and will take a few pic's to write up if there is enough interest.

Bill

I'm going off of memory here (killed a bunch of brain cells since my upgrade :) )
I did an upgrade on my CJ many. many years ago. I just went down to the auto parts store and bought a booster and master cyl and bolted it up. Had to drill two holes for the booster mount in the fire wall. Since your CJ had power brakes as an option, it should just be a bolt on.

I snapped one up for 25 bucks. Booster and rod, master, and prop valve. The prop valve is in a diferent place with power, so you will need a full set of new hard lines as well. then just bolt the whole mess into the Jeep. Time consuming, but very easy. I have done several power upgrades in the past. As soon as my SS lines get here, I'll be doing it on my this 7 as well.

I just got the kit off ebay for like 179

i did the yj swap it was pretty easy. you do need to either fab or buy an adj. pushrod and tweak it to find the right spot to where the backs dont lock up or the fronts dont release mine work great.

Thanks!
R-

With the '79, you probably have 6 bolt front brakes. If that is the case, I would not use the smaller 7/8 YJ master. As it will not have enough fluid flow for the larger 6 bolt calipers, and give you a lot of peddle movement. Instead you want to keep you larger CJ (1" or 1 1/8") master.

While you ar at the power upgrade, it's a good time to conver the rear to disk. I have found that 2-bold CJ rotors and '85-86ish Caddy rear calipers maks a good rear dis upgrade. The caddy calipers us the same mounting bolt spacing as the GM p-metric calipers. So a weld on bracket is cheap and availible.

Rosco

Hello Rosco and welcome to the site! :chug:

Thanks for stopping in and how about a :beer: on me? :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$10.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks