powertrax install ??

powertrax install ??

surfbum

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
79 CJ7... 258 motor... T-18 trans... Dana 20 case... Dana 30 w/ lockrite... AMC 20 w/ detroit and 1 piece axles.
Thinking about installing a powertrax lockrite or no-slip into the rear of my '79 CJ7 . I don't rockclimb, just weekend trips into the South Jersey pinebarrens and on the beachs. My first question is; my AMC20 has an open carrier with 3.54 gears. I had it open to change the fluid, but my dumb butt forgot to check to see if I can slide the crossshaft out without hitting the ring gear. I have read that it won't clear 4.11's but obviously my ring gear is thinner. Has anyone done this install with 3.54's and is it possible to do without removing the carrier? I really don't want to pull the carrier.
My second question is; how difficult is it to pull the axles out to do the install? I've always had full floaters and that's just a matter of unbolting the end of the axle and sliding it out of the carrier a few inches. My CJ's rear axle has probably never been apart and I can't afford to start this job and then run into problems that will cost $$$.
Thanks in advance for any help :)

OK guys... want to appologise. I spent my lunch hour doing what I should have done b4 I posted.... reading old posts and I think that Coldwater answered my question about getting the cross shaft past the ring gear. It seems that it will clear my 3.54's but not 3.73's. As far as pulling the axles, I'm sure I can find that posted too. Sorry if I wasted anyone's time. :)

do you have 1 piece axles? Anyway to pull them just disconect the brake line, emergency brake cable and take the 4 bolts out that hold the backing plate to the housing and they should slide out.

Old Dog,
Wish I did but they will be a cold weather project when I get the $$. I probably should do the whole job at one time, but I am soooo tired of my open diff. Disconnect the brake lines????.... damn, I JUST got all the air out of my new brake system...and I was so happy.... LOL. Oh well, on the bright side, they will come right off without snaping like the 30 year old lines I just replaced :) Thanks

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom