Pulse Air System

Pulse Air System

jon1371usmc

Jeeper
Thanks
Hello All,

I just recently purchased a 1983 CJ7 with AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l straight six. I was going through the engine compartment and noticed a loose hose that connected to the back of the air cleaner. After doing some research, Ive learned that this model was equipped with a pulse air system to help burn cleaner for emissions. There are two hoses, one of which is ultimately connected to the catalytic converter through the downstream air injection tube and the other is supposed to be connected to the front of the exhaust pipe through the upstream air injection tube. My problem is that I can not figure out where the tube would go that connects to the front of the exhaust pipe.

Apparently whoever had this jeep before, removed the upstream air injection tube completely along with the air injection check valve, cut the downstream tube that runs to the converter and welded the converter shut. I have looked all over and have yet to find where it would have once been located.

I guess my main question is how will this system not being connected affect the performance of my jeep. I know that it is hooked up to the MCU and I wonder if changing the emissions affect the way my jeep cold starts, idles, runs in general. Do I even need this system for my jeep to run the way it was supposed too. Im not worried so much with emissions due to the fact I live in a county that doesnt require emissions testing.

Any help (Pics) would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

Hello jon1371usmc and welcome to the site! :chug:

I don't believe that not having the pipes connected will affect your CJ running correctly. The computer in you CJ is not very sophisticated compared to the current OBII computers currently being used.

Check the PDF that I attached and see if it helps you with what your looking for. It's actually for an 84 but should be very close.

Attachments

• Be-EGR_PCV_TAC_Systems.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,640
Welcome to the board. CJ hit it on the head. I'm just here to say that my CJ (granted it's a '78 w/out the computer) runs so much better with the smog equipment removed. You have to remember, that the smog equipment was optional, not all AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l 's had it.

Thanks all for your input. Ive searched around on another thread and decided that the best thing would be to make the Nutter modification. I do not have to test for emissions so I think this will be the best option for me.

Good deal. Let us know how it works out. Do you plan on a carb swap too?

Good deal. Let us know how it works out. Do you plan on a carb swap too?

At this point in time, no. I plan on retaining the original carberator for cost/reasons. Will do, Ill make sure I give you guys an update as soon as I get it done. Has anyone here ever made this modification? Does it effect the electronic chock at all or is it hooked up some other way?

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom
AdBlock Detected

I get it, I'm a Jeep owner and ad-block detectors kinda stink but ads are needed on this site. This is a CJ site, all the ads are set for autos (some times others get through.) I cannot make them just for Jeeps but I try.

Please allow ads as they help keep this site running by offsetting the costs of software and server fees.
Clicking on No Thanks will temporarily disable this message.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks