SVO

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1984 Jeep CJ7
4.2 L 258 Inline 6
T5 Transmission
Good Morning,

I recently had my 84' Jeep CJ7 Clutch replaced by a local mechanic. Afterwards, the shifter was horribly loose. It would actually wrap around the 4wheel drive knob and nearly touch the passenger seat to hit reverse. After research and inspection I now know that the fix for that is a new clip, etc. that fits over the lever.

My major question that is nagging me, and please forgive my Jeep noobiness. Is it possible to reinstall the tranny lever 180 degrees the wrong way and still have a functioning clutch? The reason I ask is it seems after I fix the looseness, that the shifter will still be quite a bit further towards the passenger than it was before I took it in. It doesn't seem like a possible scenario for me, but I've never fixed more than simple things on any vehicle before. Right now, the bend in the lever leans towards the passenger seat. Is this correct?

Thanks for helping me out with this nagging question running through my head.

SVO

If you can, take a few pics of what you're describing... It'll help :cool:

Also Fill in your profile info so we know the type of Transmission you're talking about. Check out my profile for a generic Idea of what to put... just keep adding as you figure out your components... I believe on mine the top cover has to come off to be able to "reverse it", though also with mine it would never work... :cool:

I think some tranny's may unscrew from the tower though, I'm not sure... But they'll need to know your model before giving you a good answer.

:chug:
~ JR

Edit: My brother-in-law, a mechanic, just told me that usually they go on one way. So perhaps the out of position feeling has all been caused by the worn-out clip.

BTW: Great forums. I'm sure it'll be a great tool for me as I learn about fixing up my jeep.

My apologies.

I just recently bought the jeep and although my knowledge of it is very Limited , I believe I have some of the information for my profile. I hope these pics will give the visual aid so my question can be better answered. I don't know the mechanic very well and want to know the facts before I ask anything else. It already took 3 weeks to fix the throw-out bearing and clutch kit so I'm apprehensive about the whole process at this point.

Picture is from the drivers side. So lever leans to the right

This was neutral when pushed to the right ---- way out to right

Gear shifter wrapping around nearly touching passenger seat

Picture of shifter linkage inside of the shaft -- hard to tell, but it is stuffed with something jimmyrigged that is now loose and falling out.

Shift Linkage again. Little better pic

One more shift linkage

Last edited:
No need to apologize my friend :D...

I dont have much knowledge on the T-5 , except they are considered very "light duty" transmissions. Here's a link to a good site for tech info though on trannys and t cases...

The Borg-Warner T4 & T5 Jeep Transmissions - Novak Conversions

I agree that does not look good / right! Check out the shift lever on the one on that link / site above...

Maybe it has the wrong shift tower type on the tranny? Some came with diff shifters for diff vehicles?

Or maybe it is just 180 out??

I think someone will chime in soon with some better info, until then, I hope that site gives you some reading materials :cool:

~ JR

Thank you.

Based on that picture, it sure looks as if the lever and shifter are leaning towards the driver, not away.

Last edited:
While trying to get the shifter temporarily rigged to be firm the cap around the lever came loose which made the entire lever pull out of the Transmission by accident. After clearing the OH *$#$ look from my face I decided to move the lever to the position I felt it was supposed to face. After putting things back together and getting the plate back in place I was very happy to see and feel that the shifter was in the place before taking it in. So I am guessing the kid helping the mechanic put it back in wrong and never realized it. I tried to explain to them before I actually did it what I thought might be wrong but I don't think they understood me.

Anyway, thanks for help again and that link. I want to learn as much about my CJ as I can and be able to work on it almost entirely by myself. The satisfaction is rewarding, but at the same time it can be very nerve-racking.

SVO

:dbanana:

Glad you got it figured out!

:chug:
~ JR

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom