Question on a 65 CJ5

meatman

Jeeper
Thanks
would like to say Hi 1st post

I just picked up a 65 CJ5 with a hurricane 4
do not know what tranny is on it but I believe its original, does have
a wagner all range Overdrive added.

I picked it up the other day, and drove it 80 miles home drove great and shifted smooth, has sat a lot over the years till I bought it.

When I got home it had a lot of leakage on the floor comming from the tranny,differentials and TC. so I shut it off and the next day went to move it put it in gear and nothing just idled could feel it going into gear but when I let the clutch out nothing.

661536029_TxWVU-L.jpg

661769533_WWRPS-L.jpg

same quuestion
plus give us the numbers on the tranny
you should have a d18 Transfer Case and a t90c, if stock, see no reason they would be changed, both are legendary in jeeps.
axles will be a d27 up front,closed knuckle, and a Dana 44 tapered axle out back.
Overdrive , do you mean a Warn Overdrive ? never heard of a Wagner Overdrive . there was a Borg Warner Overdrive , used a electric solenoid to engage.

is that a aftermarket tub? it does not have the indent for the gas tank, and where is your tank? A 65 should be under the front seat.

yes warner don't know why I said wagner

fiberglass body gas tank in the rear filler is below right tail light

what should everything be set at if just going down the highway

663719103_jyyPE-L.jpg

front axle should be out
tvase should be in high, Overdrive in high

Overdrives
follow that link for the best guy to buy drive line parts for that rig. he has parts for the Overdrive too. plushe is a great guy to talk to and get advice, will have rebuild kits and gaskets for those leaking parts, also if you shio them to him he will rebuild them, He has very high standards to his work, is a retired machinest, tell him Jim Hennegan from Riverside sent you

Thats the second one this week. Happens to just about everyone once. Nice when its an easy fix like that. :D

That did it
had the Transfer Case in neutral

should you have the Overdrive in high all the time
I was only using it in 2nd in town at 35 mph
or in 3rd going 50 +
seem to want to stall when I left it in high and start out in 1st at stop light
I have never actually driven a BW Overdrive . It is an adaption of a unit that was designed for a 2wd vehicle and that is about all I know of them. I do not know much else besides it uses a electric solenoid.
I run a Warn in my CJ6 , and that has a V6 and I can run the Overdrive in all gears, so I guess I judged it off my own experience as I run it in town because the jeep is geared low. I should have considered the 4 banger has 1/2 the hp of the v6.
Sorry, my mistake. I make a few of them. I am only a god in my own mind.

You have 4 levers :drool:
I only have 2 :(
Enjoy your Jeep! :)

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom