Question Regarding a 1983 CJ rear end. I need some help!

Question Regarding a 1983 CJ rear end. I need some help!

Texxas

Jeeper
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1983 CJ (restoring) 258 6 cylinder, 5 speed, 3 inch lift
1990 Wrangler YJ Sahara loaded. Hard top and all the bells and whistles!
1983 CJ5...my sons
1979 CJ7
1964 IH Scout 800 2 inch lift. IH V8
Hey all! Long time Jeep enthusiast, first time poster. My son (14) and I are starting our restoration on a 1983 CJ. My question is this. I am not not sure what rear end is in the Jeep. :eek: I got under it today and read the numbers off the pumpkin...Could use some help in identifying what I have and any info you can help;
N

The front only has the number 30 on it.

I sure would appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Texxas

Yep. As long as nobody replaced them, you will have a Dana 30 front and a AMC/corp 20 rear.

..Just to second what Pete said

Jeep Axle: AMC 20

N= Narrow Trac 3.54 gear ratio with trac loc. Pretty nice gears if you plan on having a road vehicle or running an od tranny with larger tires.

Actually....it's an '83 so it will be a widetrack axle.
If it's under a stock 4cyl, it will have 4.10 gears, under a 6cyl, it will have 2.72, 3.54, or 3.73 gears.

Edit:
Annnndddd....looking at the build information on the corp20, N is indeed a designation that falls under a narrow track. are you sure the letter you are seeing isnt an "A" or an "H", as these would be the identification prefixes for a widetrack with 3.54 and 3.73 gearing respectively.

Otherwise, either someone put narrow track under there to replace a bad stock axle, or the axle is misstamped...which isnt unheard of really.

Last edited:
If it's under a stock 4cyl, it will have 4.10 gears, under a 6cyl, it will have 2.72, 3.54, or 3.73 gears.

Edit:
Annnndddd....looking at the build information on the corp20, N is indeed a designation that falls under a narrow track. are you sure the letter you are seeing isnt an "A" or an "H", as these would be the identification prefixes for a widetrack with 3.54 and 3.73 gearing respectively.

Otherwise, either someone put narrow track under there to replace a bad stock axle, or the axle is misstamped...which isnt unheard of really.

Yep!

Check this out, I think you are reading the actual build infomation not what you are looking for.

Jeep Axle: AMC 20

As mentioned, 83' is the widetrac AMC20 rear and Dana 30 front. Most 20's are the :dung: 2.73.

lol sorry didn't see. Already had a couple :chug: to finish off the year

Hey I already linked that:eek:

Edit:

Guys thx for the quick responses....The info i typed is definitely correct (N)...fyi the axle is tilted up so i know it was worked on and the shackles/saddles look new ie replaced.

What do u all think?:notworthy:

Texx

Texx check this out then.

Jeep Axle Identification Chart at Morris 4x4 Center

I have the wide trac and it has an "N" in the location you are referring to. I also came across and FSJ AMC20 from one of the guys in my local Jeep club to get my carrier and 456's out of, and it has the "N" in the same location and it's close to 60" WMS to WMS.

Texx check this out then.

Jeep Axle Identification Chart at Morris 4x4 Center

I have the wide trac and it has an "N" in the location you are referring to. I also came across and FSJ AMC20 from one of the guys in my local Jeep club to get my carrier and 456's out of, and it has the "N" in the same location and it's close to 60" WMS to WMS.

Is that N really big and on top of the diff housing? Because I have a Big N there on my FSJ AMC20 and as far as I can tell its a non sensical thing lol. The axle ID stamp is small and to the pass side of the pumpkin. You can also look at the Dana 30 in the front if it has a tag. it will have a number such as 49-18(49/18=2.72 gear ratio). Also a quick and not so dirty way to tell if the axles are wide track is to look under the front axle at the lower shock mounts. If they are attached to the axle tube then its a W/T if the mount is on the spring plate its a N/T

Is that N really big and on top of the diff housing? Because I have a Big N there on my FSJ AMC20 and as far as I can tell its a non sensical thing lol. The axle ID stamp is small and to the pass side of the pumpkin. You can also look at the Dana 30 in the front if it has a tag. it will have a number such as 49-18(49/18=2.72 gear ratio). Also a quick and not so dirty way to tell if the axles are wide track is to look under the front axle at the lower shock mounts. If they are attached to the axle tube then its a W/T if the mount is on the spring plate its a N/T

Guys...Thx for all the help! Glad I joined a group that is so interactive....

OK...Here is a complete update on the project.

A) I will get some pics. Right now it is up on blocks. Tub has been redone. Engine and tranny are out of the vehicle. I have the option to purchase a 87 (?) YJ next week that has a good tranny and engine (VERY cheap)$$$. AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l V6. It also has seats etc that I can transfer over.

B) I am considering also switching the front and rear axle over from the YJ. Is this a good move or would I be better leaving the stock front and rear in it?

C) I will also post picture of the IH Scout. My son jockingly calls it an Army tank. Not far from true. :D We are selling it as he wants a pickup.

I will go out today and go under and see if I can get any more info off of the rear axle pumpkin. It does have a BIG "N" on it.

Thanks again. If you have any more thoughts feel free to send them to me amigos!!!

Texx

Guys...Thx for all the help! Glad I joined a group that is so interactive....

OK...Here is a complete update on the project.

A) I will get some pics. Right now it is up on blocks. Tub has been redone. Engine and tranny are out of the vehicle. I have the option to purchase a 87 (?) YJ next week that has a good tranny and engine (VERY cheap)$$$. AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l V6. It also has seats etc that I can transfer over.

B) I am considering also switching the front and rear axle over from the YJ. Is this a good move or would I be better leaving the stock front and rear in it?

C) I will also post picture of the IH Scout. My son jockingly calls it an Army tank. Not far from true. :D We are selling it as he wants a pickup.

I will go out today and go under and see if I can get any more info off of the rear axle pumpkin. It does have a BIG "N" on it.

Thanks again. If you have any more thoughts feel free to send them to me amigos!!!

Texx
A. There is no AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l V6. The AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is an I6 so if the seller told you it was a v6 I would be wary of anything he tells you because he doesn't know what he is talking about. A parts Yj wouldnt be a bad deal. If you could find a busted up 91+ it would be nicer for the 4.0 but AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is a good motor.

B. you will not be able to run your Dana 300 from your CJ with Yj axles. Yjs are driverside drop and CJs are Pass side drop. Also from WHat I understand you will have to move your spring mounts on the body or move the shock mounts or something like that. If you think you want to run the yj axles and are getting a whole parts yj I would suggest using the YJ frame for your build. The YJ and CJ tubs can be swapped for one another with some work and in theory you can leave your YJ tub on the frame and take the front clip from your CJ and bolt it on in place of that ugly yj frontend. That over complicates things but thats what happens when you try interchanging parts, you will find a little change in one place can prompt a whole bunch of drastic changes somewhere else. Trust me I know, I ended up swapping in a ax15 and ended up completely redoing my pedals and brake system.
C.I would love to see pics of your scout. I have been considering either selling my Grand Wagoneer or finding someone with a scout 2 to trade with for the last couple days.

That big N on the pumpkin isnt the id stamp. the ID stamp will be to the pass side of the big circular pumkin and is dremeled into the housing. Someone linked a pic of it somewhere.

Forget the yj axles, the front is on the wrong side and the D35 is weaker than the AMC20 .

A. There is no AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l V6. The AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is an I6 so if the seller told you it was a v6 I would be wary of anything he tells you because he doesn't know what he is talking about. A parts Yj wouldnt be a bad deal. If you could find a busted up 91+ it would be nicer for the 4.0 but AMC 258 i6 / 4.2l is a good motor.

B. you will not be able to run your Dana 300 from your CJ with Yj axles. Yjs are driverside drop and CJs are Pass side drop. Also from WHat I understand you will have to move your spring mounts on the body or move the shock mounts or something like that. If you think you want to run the yj axles and are getting a whole parts yj I would suggest using the YJ frame for your build. The YJ and CJ tubs can be swapped for one another with some work and in theory you can leave your YJ tub on the frame and take the front clip from your CJ and bolt it on in place of that ugly yj frontend. That over complicates things but thats what happens when you try interchanging parts, you will find a little change in one place can prompt a whole bunch of drastic changes somewhere else. Trust me I know, I ended up swapping in a ax15 and ended up completely redoing my pedals and brake system.
C.I would love to see pics of your scout. I have been considering either selling my Grand Wagoneer or finding someone with a scout 2 to trade with for the last couple days.

That big N on the pumpkin isnt the id stamp. the ID stamp will be to the pass side of the big circular pumkin and is dremeled into the housing. Someone linked a pic of it somewhere.

Well I am going to go mess with the Jeep and will get some more info off ot it. I may be interested in a trade etc. and would love to see your wagoneer pics. I will take some pics of the Scout this weekend and send them to you if you are interested.

Texx

Found some more info on the axle pumpkins;

Front pumpkin
Diamond with ON in the diamond
number engraved 83(5?)132

Rear pumpkin
circle with a triangle pointing to a number 8

Don't know if any of this helps.

Texxas777

your overdue for a gear lube change so while you have the cover off checking for extra parts in the housing or chipped teeth you can count the teeth and see what kind of differential you have.:cool:

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom