Quick question about the T176.

Quick question about the T176.

MadMax

Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1980-82 CJ7
My T-176 always grinds a little when I go into 4th gear. Anyone else have or has had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? I'm slowly working my way through every nut and bolt of the jeep again and I didnt have this problem when I last owned it. The tranny had just been rebuilt about 5k ago so....any info or opinion would help. Thanks.

My T-176 always grinds a little when I go into 4th gear. Anyone else have or has had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? I'm slowly working my way through every nut and bolt of the jeep again and I didnt have this problem when I last owned it. The tranny had just been rebuilt about 5k ago so....any info or opinion would help. Thanks.

If It's grinding a little in just one, or select gears, It's probably a syncro on It's way out. If It was in every gear, or the Transmission was hanging or not releasing I would guess a clutch issue.

I's say a 4th gear syncro, probably getting worn.

Edit: Damn - Missed it by that much!

I would agree with you, but the syncro was brand new 5k ago. Would it do it if the tranny was low on fluid? I have been meaning to change the fluid, but havent gotten around to it. Its just a quick grind and sometimes if I ease it into the gear, it wont grind at all. Other ppl that I have asked say that it is just working off some extra metal that was left on the gears after machining.

I would dismiss the extra metal theory. Has it been doing it since the rebuild, or has this just started.

I would suspect the synchro also if it is only in one gear. Have you owned it since the rebuild and like cw asked, new problem or started right after rebuild? If you can ease it in and it doesn't grind, sounds like synchro is worn and not grabbing hard enough to synch gear fast enough but when you do it easy it has enough time to synch and mesh.

I guess I really should have been a little more specific and given and explanation for my answer.

It's almost 100% a syncro. But why? You said there was only 5k on it after a rebuild. What was replaced and rebuilt? Your still going to have to inspect the syncro and I'll bet the leading edge of the engagement / sync area is wiped out, not allowing the gears to speed up / slow down to allow a smooth engagement as the slider moves.

If the gear / syncro mesh area is worn out, that can cause premature wear of the syncro. It's easy to miss and I've seen it happen before. A new rebuild works good for a while then starts grinding again.

Two options really, pull the top and inspect it or learn to double clutch it and live with it... :)

Ok, I see what you are saying. I am trying to remember what was done when it was rebuilt, all gears and syncros are new...that I know for sure. I asked my uncle (the one who rebuilt it) but he cant really remember :dung:. Since I have never taken a Transmission apart, how would I go about inspecting the syncros and stuff?

All the gears are new? That is actually kinda weird. Most don't replace every gear as that is very expensive. Usually only the questionable ones are replaced as well as bearings and syncros... I just posted this another thread - here is an exploded view of the Transmission . Pull the top cover (#38) and you can inspect the inside.

attachment.php

Attachments

• t-176-177-transmission.jpg
    t-176-177-transmission.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 2,133
Sweet! I think I will try that this weekend. Unless the wife has other plans (which she always does). :(

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$25.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom