Radiator "Leak"

Radiator "Leak"

Shazam

Active Jeeper
Media
Thanks
Vehicle(s)
1979 CJ-5 Renegade with '74 304 V8 & Edelbrock manifold & carb, Heddman headers & sidepipes, T-150 3 speed, Dana 20, Dana 30, AMC 20
OK...just got my 79 CJ5 back from its service call as its brand new to me (all filters, fluids changed, brakes done, electrical gremlins looked at). I now have it home and after driving it leaks antifreeze out a tube at the bottom of the radiator (passenger side). The guy warned me of this and said they filled it too full - makes sense as it only leaks a while after turning off the engine.

Question...do these not have an overflow tank? Am I OK or do I need one...and how easy are they to get on? I only found them from like 1981 on?

Thanks guys! :chug:

OK...just got my 79 CJ5 back from its service call as its brand new to me (all filters, fluids changed, brakes done, electrical gremlins looked at). I now have it home and after driving it leaks antifreeze out a tube at the bottom of the radiator (passenger side). The guy warned me of this and said they filled it too full - makes sense as it only leaks a while after turning off the engine.

Question...do these not have an overflow tank? Am I OK or do I need one...and how easy are they to get on? I only found them from like 1981 on?

Thanks guys! :chug:

When you say your leaking fluid out of a tube at the bottom of the radiator.
Are you talking about a rubber tube that starts a the radiator neck?
Or are talking about an actual radiator tube?

The hose appears to come from the radiator cap. Thanks.

The hose appears to come from the radiator cap. Thanks.

You need to rig up a simple overflow bottle.
They can be purchased from any of the many Jeep based catalogs or Summit racing. I've also seen plenty of them homemade from various containers.

You need to rig up a simple overflow bottle.
They can be purchased from any of the many Jeep based catalogs or Summit racing. I've also seen plenty of them homemade from various containers.
How much you think a bottle would need to hold horn? coke bottle size or milk jug size? I would think coke bottle would do the job.:cool:

How much you think a bottle would need to hold horn? coke bottle size or milk jug size? I would think coke bottle would do the job.:cool:

Mine is about a quart.

Little brown Jug?

Thanks guys! I picked up a 2.5 quart kit at Advance Auto (got the bigger one to be safe) today...plan on installing tomorrow. wish me luck!

Jeep-CJ Donation Drive

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.

Help support Jeep-CJ.com by making a donation.
Goal
$200.00
Earned
$0.00
This donation drive ends in
Back
Top Bottom